Author Topic: Question on 4 hr feeding (Kinda long)  (Read 1815 times)

Offline MomToElyas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my Easter egg!
    • Elyas's pics and videos
Question on 4 hr feeding (Kinda long)
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:59:20 am »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this group and to EASY (Only 5 days into it). My lo, Elyas is 8.5 mo and this is his routine (give & take)

0600            Wake up, Milk (Formula) & Activity
0700            Breakfast (Solids) & Activity
0840            Morning nap, lasting between 45mins - 1hr 15 (Very rare!)

1000            Milk & Activity
1215            Lunch (Solids) & Quiet Activity
1300            Afternoon nap, again 45 mins - 1hr 15

1415            Milk & Activity (Anything from playdates, errands, stroll etc)     
1730            Dinner (Solids) & activity with Pappa     
1835            Bedtime routine - Bath, Milk, Book
1900            Sleep

Before I discovered Tracy's method, lo was already on a routine but I used to go AESY instead of EASY. Plus, he used to feed every 3 hours (milk wise), hence the frequent night wakes - I think!

My confusion lies within the 4hr feeding. I'm uncertain if it means stretching the feedings between 6am milk and 7am breakfast OR 6am milk and 10am milk OR 7am breakfast and 10am milk (as in the last feed before nap and the feed after nap)? I apologise if that's confusing LOL! Anyway, if it's the latter, you'll notice that it's only 3 hours between his last given solids (7am) and his next given milk (10am) and only 2hrs 45mins between lunch before nap (1215) and milk after nap (1415).

With the given routine, how would you suggest I increase the time of his feeds without interrupting his naps? I've tried giving him breakfast at an earlier time and even right after he's awake but he'll have none of it. So instead, I give him formula first and breakfast an hour later.

I'm just slightly overwhelmed by the whole 3.5 / 4 hr feeding and would appreciate it (BIG time) if someone's kind enough and willing to clarify what might seem like a dumb question by me :P

Thanks! 

P.S: You're probably thinking, why change something that works. Well, after 5 days of doing EASY (and it's definitely NOT easy ;)), Elyas is still waking twice during the night crying and it takes a long time to settle him back  :-\ I know it takes some time for babies to adjust but I just wanna ask for an expert opinion to see if I'm doing anything wrong  :)
Elyas Joakim was born on August 29, 2005 (Oslo, Norway)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Question on 4 hr feeding (Kinda long)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 13:27:40 pm »
Welcome to the site!  You will find lots of good info and help here.

As far as the 4 hr EASY goes, it means 4 hours between milk feedings.  My daughter is about the same age, and her day is like this:

7am wake and breastfeed (ok, so it's more like 6:40)

8:30 solids

9:30 nap

11 wake and breastfeed (sometimes we hold off until 11:30/12, depending on big sis's commitments)

12/12:30 solids

1:30/2 nap

3/3:30 wake and bf

5 solids

6 ready for bed

6:30 bf and into bed (not asleep at breast)

I do hope that helps.

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline RachelC

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 13:43:44 pm »
Oh, and I have been doing EASY since Jalyn was born and it is definately not always easy  :-\  It is a lot of work, especially in the beginning, and you're turing his world upside down.  But this will get easier and will make life more predictable.

~Rachel

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 13:45:03 pm »
MomToElyas
This is our routine at the moment;

My DS is also 8months (on Sunday  ;D) here is his routine;
W0630 - 0700  :(
E0730 milk + breakfast
A
S0930  - 1hr - 1.5hr if am I lucky
E1200 soilds + water
A
   E1400 milk
A
S (3hrs from last wake up time) I don't leave him sleeping longer than 4pm, as it will disrupt his bedtime otherwise.
E 1630 solids + water
A1700
Bath 1900ish
E1930 milk
S in bed awake at 8pm ish, sometimes is unsettled or plays until 8.30pm never any later.
thats usually him until 0630ish, unless he is ill

Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 13:50:50 pm »
With the given routine, how would you suggest I increase the time of his feeds without interrupting his naps? I've tried giving him breakfast at an earlier time and even right after he's awake but he'll have none of it. So instead, I give him formula first and breakfast an hour later. .......You're probably thinking, why change something that works. Well, after 5 days of doing EASY (and it's definitely NOT easy ;)), Elyas is still waking twice during the night crying and it takes a long time to settle him back  :-\ I know it takes some time for babies to adjust but I just wanna ask for an expert opinion to see if I'm doing anything wrong  :)

I think your routine looks good ;D I used to do a 4.5hr EASY until recently, as DS was able to go 4.5hr between his milk feeds (solids maybe 30mins after each milk feed, excelpt bedtime)

When you ask about increasing the time of his feeds without interrupting his naps and I am not sure what you mean ? Do you want to find out how to have him feed for longer to take more milk or how to extend to over 4hrs between milk feeds ?  Sorry.... :-\

Lauren

Lauren x

Offline MomToElyas

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my Easter egg!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 14:23:36 pm »
Quote (selected)
When you ask about increasing the time of his feeds without interrupting his naps and I am not sure what you mean ? Do you want to find out how to have him feed for longer to take more milk or how to extend to over 4hrs between milk feeds ?  Sorry....

Hi Lauren!

Hmm...I don't even know what I was asking! Lol!  ;D This is the result when a Mom is exhausted and unfocused  :-\

I think it all came about when I don't know exactly what the 4 hour feeding meant (don't know if it's between milk and breakfast or breakfast and lunch etc). But thanks to all of you, I now understand what it's all about and that my routine is ok.

I TRULY appreciate the advice! :D

Ira

Offline MomToElyas

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my Easter egg!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 14:44:10 pm »
Rachel,

Thanks for the info and encouragement :) You're right, starting EASY is really hard especially when you're overly tired. I need someone to massage me already and I'm only on day 5!! My back's killing me from all of that bending down, trying to put the lo in a sleeping position and calm him because all he wants to do is stand in his crib (it's doesn't help that I'm short ha-ha!)! It can take him about 50 mins to an hour to settle down. Yes, he's very determined to stay up. It's funny how he's such a happy go-lucky guy during times when he's not suppose to sleep - always smiling and laughing, hardly demanding attention, able to entertain himself for hours. However, the minute he knows it's bedtime or naptime...he turns into this unrecognisable mini "demon" lol!

Anyway, I do hope that it will get easier...no...I KNOW it will get easier. Gotta be positive right? ;) In the meantime, I just have to keep chanting to myself, "Hang in there....hang in there...hang in there....

;D

Ira

Offline RachelC

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 14:49:22 pm »
You got it Ira,

Hang in there, hang in there, hang in there...

I am thankful that dd can't get into a sitting position... and therefore standing yet (she has pulled herself up, but I have to sit her).  So, I am just 'pulling' her arms out from under her every time she pushes up.  And since she can't get to sitting, we haven't lowered the crib matress yet... I am short as well and not looking forward to bending down over the rail  ::)

~Rachel