Author Topic: At the end of my tether...6mth old constantly whining - please help!  (Read 1574 times)

Offline ginger72

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Michelle - A Brit Living in France
Dear All,

I feel absolutely at the end of my tether today. Our 6 month old LO is on 4 hour EASY (albeit EASAE as he's only ever done 45 min naps) but for the past couple of weeks has spent 80% of all A time fussing and whining. I feel like an absolute failure - I've tried everything to keep him happy...trawling the boards here for activity ideas, going outside in the stroller, everything I can think of and nothing helps. This morning he whined whether I picked him up, put him in his bouncy chair, lay him down, walked around with him - I just don't know what to do any more.
I considered teething but his cheeks aren't red and I don't want to dose him with meds unless that's the right thing to do. I've tried extending A time which didn't work and this morning I tried putting him down for his morning nap just 1 hr after waking up (he yawned and was already fussing). He slept for 45 mins as always but was whining again 5 mins after getting up. From this I think it's not tiredness but boredom and frustration.
I'm going to try to get an exersaucer and bumbo chair next week as I'm desperate to try something new with him. The only thing I found that's worked for 5 mins this morning was putting him in front of a cartoon which I hate doing!
I feel so guilty but I've started dreaded him waking up for his nap as I know I've got 2 hours of battle to cope with. It's awful and I just feel so guilty and sad. I love him so much and I just don't know what to do.

I'd love your advice or thoughts - I really feel at my wits end and am desperate to get back to enjoying my LO.

Michelle

andibig

are you sure its not teething? they don't always have red cheeks.and teething can take weeks until cutting through. is he drooling , pulling his ears, biting every thing. majority of LO start teething at this age. if its not that could be boredom/frustration. is he trying to do anything new like sit up etc. other than that maybe posting your routine and seeing if the moderators can pinpoint anything

Offline ginger72

• Showing Appreciation 2
Dear Andi,

He is drooling and chewing stuff so I guess it could be teething. I will try some baby paracetamol (sp?) and see if that helps. My instinct tells me there's definitely some frustration in there too coupled with boredom. I'm sure he's not tired as there are no sleepy cues during his whiny sessions and he's pretty much whining at all times of the day regardless of sleep pattern. It's so frustrating - I just want to help him and don't really know where to start!
DH wants to leave him to CIO if all else fails but I'm loathed to - I hate to see him just left to cry.....

andibig

definetly teething! Belive you me i'm a teething expert!! dd just got her first molar through. hopefully the meds will take the edge of the pain. you could also try teething rings (leave them in the fridge) that may help him as they just desp want to chew on anything when teething. i know the whining is annoying but it won't last forevever. just reassure him, lots of cuddles etc. IMHO i wouldn't let him CIO like DH said-it hurts getting teeth!!!!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Have you ruled out any tummy troubles-something new he's eaten, constipation?  Teething can take forever, as mentioned, and my dd is also a bear when she teeths.  He may be getting ready to hit a new milestone, and his frustration from the lack of doing so yet can come through as whining as he has no other means to communicate. 
Also, a few minutes of TV time is no harm if it gives you both a break.  You need you're time as well, and short nappers don't give you much Y time, do they? 
For teething relieve without the worry of overmedicating, try Hyland's Teething Tablets.  They're 100% natural, and if it's not teething pain, they won't hurt him to have anyway.  At least that way you can rule it out.  When my dd teets, she gets them before every sleep and during play time as needed.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
If you suspect teething, here are a few of my DDs favorite things...

Cold carrot sticks - nice and long so she can handle them.  Cucumber spears too.
Frozen bananas - we put them in a mesh feeder and she LOVES them - even when not teething!
Frozen washclothes - we roll the baby washclothes into a tube and freeze them.  Some of the teethers press against her cheeks and frost-bite her cheeks.  This way she can have the cold cloth (nice texture for her gums, too) without freezing her cheeks!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline ginger72

• Showing Appreciation 2
Thank you so much for your replies and advice ladies, it helps so much. Having read your emails and thought about it I think we're  battling on three fronts:

1. He probably is teething so I'm going to get a teething ring/gel/herbal tablets. I did give him a shot of baby paracetamol yesterday afternoon and he had the longest nap he's ever had! (not that I'm suggesting you can 'fix' 45 min naps with Calpol!  ;D) Can you give them carrot sticks even if they're not old enough for finger foods though?

2. He's definitely got a bit of constipation - we've started weaning in the past two weeks and I think maybe it's banana that might have bunged things up a bit making the grizzling particularly bad in the past few days. Have given him a little bit of apricot juice this morning which might help ease things along.

3. He's getting very frustrated about not being able to sit up on his own. I've ordered a bumbo chair which should be here in a couple of days. Unfortunately you can't seem to get Exersaucers in Europe - have tried everywhere online - they look just the job.

I think I just have to try not to let the whining get to me so much but it's so hard when everything you do for 2 solid hours just results in an unhappy, fussy baby - I feel like I'm letting him down. sigh! Unbelievably though last night he slept through from 7.15 to 8.15am (with DF)....how did that happen? If only I know so I could replicate it every night!! At least I'm a bit less exhausted this morning which definitely helps matters.....

Michelle

andibig

glad he slept through!!!!!!!! does help when you get a good nights sleep  ;D when dd got her first tooth at 18 wks a teething ring was a godsend. it was quite big with sort of palstic keys hanging from it. it was easier for her to hold than a carrot stick.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
My DD doesn't have teeth yet and the carrots are too firm for her to gum a piece off.  The cucumbers might be soft enough though...

Also, my DD has constipation issues and we have to use suppositories from time to time.  She HATES it (who wouldn't), but they work and she's all smiles once they work their magic!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline ginger72

• Showing Appreciation 2
Well he's just eaten a whole jar of organic apple and prune puree so if that doesn't sort out the constipation nothing will! I also gave him a teething ring today and he seems to be in better spirits when he's got something to chew on. As I've read here time and time again....."this too shall pass"! Thank you ladies.