Author Topic: Expectant Mom with some general E.A.S.Y. questions  (Read 1100 times)

Offline MommyC

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Expectant Mom with some general E.A.S.Y. questions
« on: May 21, 2006, 14:39:14 pm »
Hi,
I just finished reading the "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer", and I was really glad to see there are some message boards to discuss the ideas in the book. Our baby is due in 3 weeks, and I think I would like to start off with the EASY plan, but I have a few questions...

1) The 3 hour cycle includes about 1.5 hours of sleep time (keeping in mind I'm new at this) - when am I supposed to sleep?

2) I assume the activity gets cut in the middle of the night (besides a diaper change)?

3) I understand that the plan is flexible, but how do you keep a newborn on a schedule?  To keep with the 45 minutes of activity am I supposed to wake my baby if it falls asleep after I breastfeed? How does one even keep a newborn awake for 45 minutes?

Like I mentioned above, I'm new at this and still a bit nervous about the whole parenting thing.  I would really appreciate any advice - Thank-you!

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: Expectant Mom with some general E.A.S.Y. questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 15:00:46 pm »
The basic idea is to seperate breastfeeding from sleeping. So, during the day you definatley need to have some awake time after breastfeeding. Depending on how long your child breastfeeds for, your activity time may be quite short. ---ie diaper change, a wash etc. This activity time will definately lengthen as your child gets older. For the first couple of weeks, your baby will be very sleepy, this will change and when it does the EASY will make more sense. Just enjoy the first few weeks and I wouldn't worry too much about being on a strict EASY. Maybe by 3 weeks old, start working on the 3hour EASY goal. It is great that you have read the book and understand the concept--- you then have a goal to work towards and some background knowledge.
The activity time after bf also helps the baby differentiate day from night. During night feeds, you minimize all stimulation/activity. It is simply bf, diaper change if necessary,and then bed.

Above all enjoy your new baby, personally I don't believe the EASY concept will be much of a priority until the baby is at least a few weeks old.

Deborah
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 15:26:02 pm »
Hi there!! first congrats on your almost there baby!!!!!

Well, i started the EASY ever since day one, but what i did was just to follow the order of things eat-activity-sleep-andwhatlittleyoucanhavewithanewbornyoutime  ;D, so i didn't  keep to a schedule per se on the first few weeks. It was when i saw that my DS was getting huingry at the 3hrs mark, that i started the schedule, this was at about 3-4 weeks old. So what i would recommend for you, is to follow the order of things (this is really importat, so your baby learns how to sleep independantly and doesn't feed to sleep). and when you start seeing a more consistant feeding pattern, start with the schedule. Ohh and something that really helped me was to write down all hi day, just like the book says. and also try not to feed him before 2hrs (well this is what my ped recommended and Tracy also suggests it in the bok, so your baby doesn't become a snacker).

Regarding your questions:

1- uhhmm, well the first month is usually the hardest, 'cause you won't get much sleep, so nap whenever you can, and if you can ask to DH or to your mom to help you on any night would be great so you can recuperate some long desired sleep!!! Don't worry sleep will eventually come to you again ;)

2- yes, there is NO activity at night, unless your baby gets poop on the nappy, i never changed him if there was only pee on it.

3- the schedule just like i said earlier isn't a schedule per se on the firts weeks, just the order of things (well, at least that's what i did). Yes you are suppoused to wake a baby after you feed him, you might say "and how does one do that exactly??" well do a diaper change. The 45min includes the feed so its really not that much time, 'cause between the feeding and nappy change, you pretty much get to the 45min.

I would just like to say, that its really normal to be nervous, and i'm sure you are going to make a wonderfull job as a mom!!!!

if you have any doubts, plesa don't hesitate to ask!!!!

good luck!!

Offline TaraGowland

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:00:31 am »
Hi Esther - I just read your post and wanted clarification - I have a 6 week old and he almost always sleeps after bf'ing - you wrote that the 45 minutes includes the bf and the diaper change?!

If so,l yeah!!!!

Tara

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:54:38 am »
tara hi, well yeap the 45 is the amount of time a newborn can normally have, this includes eating and some bit of activity, if your LO is 6 weeks old try to change his nappy and keep him awake even if it is for a few minutes ('cause at 6 weeks, he can hold on for like an hour or a bit less), just so that he can distinguish feeding time from sleep time, and in the near future he doesn't need a BF to go to sleep.
good luck! ;)