Author Topic: Message/Question for HeatherC  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Ladyp

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:42:34 am »
Hi Heather,

You offered me some advice a couple of days ago (see below) and my DS has now been sleeping through til 6.30am the last two mornings.  I think it's due to the fact we now follow EASASE when we need to. 

Just one question - you mentioned his nap times should be determined by the time he wakes up from his last one......how does this work?  I always thought that the activity time dictates nap time....i.e. if he fed at 6.30am I try to keep him up for at least an hour (more if possible) before he has a nap.  So it would be:

E: 0630
A: 0700 - 0800
S: 0800

At 10 weeks old how long should his Activity time be?  It tends to vary but if he has yawned twice I don't keep him up I'll put him down.

Hope this makes sense!

Thank you
Katie

Help with sleeping through....
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:12:18 AM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I'm not sure whether I'm posting this in the right place.....it's EASY related but I guess it's more to do with night feedings and sleep?!  Sorry it's so long......

My DS is 10 weeks old this weekend and has gone from sleeping 7pm - 5.30/5.45am (with a dreamfeed between 11/midnight; I know the dreamfeed should really be no later than 11pm so I have been gradually  bringing this forward) to waking at 4.10/4.30am every day this week.  I thought it might have been a growth spurt so I increased his feeds by 1oz (he is on formula) but this has made no difference to his sleeping at night.  Plus I'm assuming a growth spurt wouldn't last for 5 days!

He has never been a great napper during the day - the only time I can guarantee he will sleep is for about 45 mins in a morning at 9am.  Sometimes we'll get a nap of 1.5/2hrs either at lunchtime or around 3.30-5.00pm but sometimes it will be catnaps throughout the day.  While this has not affected his sleeping before could this be the cause of his earlier waking at all?

I have tried to settle him without feeding him at 4.30am but I've heard his tummy rumble and he always seems starving and polishes off his bottle so I'm guessing I'm doing the right thing feeding him rather than trying shush/pat?

I feel so guilty bcoz I was moaning I'd like him to go through until 7am but now I realise I was lucky having him go to 5.45am.....now I'm back to what he was doing when he was 6/7 wks old.

He is draining 7 oz bottles (5 in 24 hrs); is on a 3.5/4 hr routine (put himself on this) and must be well over 13 lbs by now.......

Any suggestions?  I'm feeling sooo frustrated!

Thank you
K

Typical routine:
E: 7.45am 'Top Up' half feed (I do this to keep the rest of the day 'on track'
A: 8.00am
S: 9.00 - 9.45am

E: 1030am
A: 11.00am
S: 12.00pm - if we are lucky?!  Could be 30 mins if I'm in the car/pram we get longer

E: 2.30pm
A: 3.00pm
S: 3.30/4.00pm - again same as above

E: 6.00pm - half bottle
A: 6.15pm (Bath 6.30/6.45pm)
E: 7.00pm - other half bottle
S: 7.15pm (have no problems getting him down)

DF: 11.00/11.30pm (am bringing this forward)

Night wakening: 4/4.30am - goes down with no problem after feeding - within 30 mins of wakening

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 04:53:27 PM by Ladyp »  Report to moderator    86.137.198.65 

HeatherC
E.A.S.Y.
Thoroughly Addicted

Showing Appreciation 31
Thank You!

Re: Help with sleeping through....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 02:05:54 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day sleep certainly does affect night sleep for most babies.  Since he is on the short side for day sleep, his overtiredness could be causing his early waking.  However, since he is going back to sleep (until 7:45 I assume), it might just be his growth spurt, which can last up to 2 weeks.
Your EASY routine looks great.  One thing to consider, however, is that you should take note of the time he wakes from his nap, and put him down for the next nap based on that time, not the time after he has his bottle and A time.  For example, if he is able to handle 1.25 hrs of A time, his first nap ends at 9:45, then his next nap should be about 11.  I realize that seems very close to the feeding at 10:30, but as long as you are not feeding to sleep, then you are still following the EASY principles.  If he still has a short nap, he might even end up with a cycle that looks like EASASE.  This is very common until babies can learn (with our help) to transition in the sleep cycles and sleep more than 1 cycle in a row.
Also, as you mentioned, bringing the df forward to closer to 10 pm might help as a late df can disrupt the night sleep pattern and confuse his internal clock.
I encourage you to browse the Sleep Forums, especially the Night Wakings Board for suggestions as to handle early am wakings at this age.  If you cannot find a post similar enough to your needs, you can create one and copy the link to this page so that you do not have to retype everything.  If you need help with that, let me know.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Message/Question for HeatherC
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 13:51:45 pm »
Katie, I'm so glad you are seeing some improvements.  Most of the time, everything with a baby is trial and error, so I'm glad you've found something that works.  At 10 weeks old, 1 hr -1.25 hrs of A time is probably about right.  You could check the sample EASY routines at the top of this forum for some more ideas.  But you are correct in putting him down when he starts to show sleepy signs. 
Here's what I meant by total A time effecting when the nap should be:  if, for example, he takes his first nap at 8 am, and he's on a 3 hr feeding routine.  If he only naps for 45 mins and does not go back to sleep, he would need his next nap 1-1.25 hrs from that wake time, not from the next time he eats.  If you have him awake from 8:45 until he feeds at 9:30 (on a 3 hr routine) and then an additional hour, he would be awake for 1.75 -2 hrs, and that would probably be too much for him.  If he is overtired at that point, he probably won't nap well, and that will effect the rest of the day.  But, if you can get him to go back to sleep after he wakes at 45 mins, the next cycle of EAS would probably be close to normal.  At this age, you really should watch total A time, but when he's older, you'll be able to set nap times.  I'm glad the EASASE is working, b/c it's exactly what you should do for a short napper.
I hope this helped, if not, let me know and I'll try to clarify more.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Ladyp

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 15:06:54 pm »
Thanks Heather - I understand now!   :)

Making this small change to his routine (EASASE) has made a world of difference.  I can't believe I didn't think of implementing it sooner to help him get more sleep during the day!

Thanks again
Katie & Oliver