Author Topic: Screaming uncontrollably before naps  (Read 949 times)

Offline FiFace

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 23, 2006, 16:21:01 pm »
Please someone help! I'm new to this. My daugther is almost 5 months old and I just started the Baby Whisperer techniques yesterday (I wish I had heard about this earlier!). Fiona is a cross between a Grumpy and a Touchy baby. The main issues I'm working on are to transition her from a 2-hour nursing schedule to a 3-hour schedule (and then eventually a 4-hour schedule), and to get her to take consistent, solid naps (she was napping when she wanted, where she wanted, for about 30-40 minutes at a time). I'm following the EASY plan for a 3-hour schedule for now. I'll work on the 4-hour one once I get her napping in her nursery, and not in a bouncer in the noisy living room like she is used to.

Today is my second day of EASY. Yesterday was HARD! She screamed SOOOOO much. and PU/PD just seemed to make everything worse. I'm so frustrated right now. I just gave up on putting her down for her second morning nap. She was screaming and crying hysterically (sp?)!! Seriously, how is this supposed to work?! I even put her in her bouncer for her nap, because I at least want to teach her to take consistent naps in her room (and would transition her to her crib once we get that worked out). Well, as soon as I went through the Four S's, she started screaming at the top of her lungs! She doesn't do this when she catnaps in the bouncer in the living room (a habit I'm trying to break). I tried the Shush-Pat, but it made her scream more. Then I tried PU/PD, but she screamed bloody murder! Eventually I was so frustrated, I just matched the volumn of her screams with a constant 'Wooooo' noise, hoping to startle her to stop screaming. It worked temporarily, but then she kept screaming. So now she is in my lap while I type this, making cute googoo and ahhhh noises. So, do I go put her down again??? What if she starts screaming? PU/PD just makes her more  mad and gets her all riled up. There is no way she'd go down for a nap if I kept it up. Can I try to let her cry it out for 5 minutes?? Maybe she just needs to let off steam??

Hope

Offline FiFace

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 16:23:28 pm »
OK, for my own sanity, I had to put her back in her bouncer to cry... I was ready to yell at her, so I had to do it. Well, what do you know... 3 minutes of h-llish screaming later and she's starting to drift off. Was I wrong to let her cry for 3 minutes on her own? Was there a better way to approach this?

I think the techniques in this book are great, but the book doesn't really elaborate enough on what to do when your child is screaming uncontrollably and PU/PD is making it worse. I really want this to work, but it's so hard! When I do PU/PD Fiona looks at me like she hates me... I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

Hope

andibig

Re: Screaming uncontrollably before naps
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 13:20:23 pm »
fiona doesn't hate you and you're  not doing anything wrong. remember your trying to teach her a new way of sleeping. you want her to take consistent decent naps in her cot instead of in her bouncer. so its normal that shes a little confused as shes thinking this isn't normally how i go to sleep.when i had this problem with DD i had to persevere (i used pat/sh method as she was younger) cos as soon as i back tracked i was back to square 1. BTW where is she sleeping at night. is this only a problem at naps.. the other thing i thought you could try was a radio inher room. maybe its the noise she associates with the bouncer and then gradually turn the volume down.
HTH let me know how it goes-just keep trying