Author Topic: 30 minute naps  (Read 1566 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
30 minute naps
« on: May 27, 2006, 19:29:48 pm »
I was hoping that someone could give me some advice for my 10 month old's naps.

Over the past couple of months, he has been napping really well - taking 2 naps which would last anything from 1 to 1/2 hours and he would be fantastic, but now everything has changed, and he is only taking 2 30 minute naps and is  being a real grumpy so and so and I am not sure what to do.

His typical schedule looks something like this.

6:45 / 7:00 Wake Up
7:30 Bottle and Cereal
8:45 / 9:00 - Goes down for nap
10:15 / 10:30 - Awake and Snack
11:30 - Lunch
12:15 / 12:30 - Nap
1:30 / 1:45 Wake up
2:30 - Snack
4:30 - Dinner
5:30 - Bath
6:15 / 6:45 - anytime between then bottle then bed and sleeps right through the night - no problems there.

The problem now is that he will be tired and will put him down, but will only sleep for about 30 minutes.  It was suggested that perhaps it was time that he only went down to one nap a day, and I thought that this might be the case and I though about trying it today, but it did not work. 

At 10:00 when he was having his toast as a snack, he was kicking off and screaming while sitting in his high chair.  I took him up to bed and he slept for 30 minutes.  He woke up and cried, I went in and he was wide awake sitting in his cot and started smiling and saying Hiya, and pulled himself up in the cot.

The same happened at 1:45 this afternoon, where he fell asleep in the car and only slept for 30 minutes. Again he woke up spat his dummy out and just said hiya and was wide awake.

He does sleep through the night, but have found that since his naps have gone AWOL I am finding it more difficult for him to settle in the evenings.  When I put him to bed he will fall asleep immediately, but that usually lasts about 40 minutes or so then he will roll over and bang his leg brace on the side of the cot and this tends to wake him up and then he cries etc, and then it starts over again trying to re-settle him.

The brace that he has on his leg is to correct his club foot which he was born with.  This does not bother him as he has had casts / brace on his leg since he was a week old.

I know that some of this could be due to teething, but surely it would not effect his naps this badly.

I don't think he is going through a growth spurt or anything like that so am not sure what is going on.

I am also finding that his lack of naps is affecting his eating.  When he is tired, I do battle to get his food in him - he is just not interested in eating - although I do still get a good amount in him.  Funnily enough His bottles are not a problem (which is strange as he has never been very fussy on his bottles), he will drain these no problem.

Please could someone give me some advice.

Thanks for your time.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
Re: 30 minute naps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 19:43:21 pm »
Hi

Zander is a little younger and waking at a similar time but he doesn't have his first nap until 9.15/9.30 and I then limit it to 30/40 minutes.  I'd aim to get him down for his first nap at 9.30 for half an hour (wake him!) and then put him down again for his second nap at 12.30/1 and hope this is a long one!  If he's moving towards only needing one nap a day (though I suspect it's still a little too early) I would limit his am nap even more to say 20 minutes at 9.30/9.45 and then put him down at 12.30 as usual for the second nap.  Maybe he only needs a power nap in the mornings until he's ready to drop it in a couple of months or so.

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 19:47:44 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions.

The strange thing is that he used to sleep for like 1.5 hours in the morning this would be his best nap. 

I am wondering if it has anything to do with me going back to work and him being at MIL during the day.  I have been back at work for a few months and have had to do some sleep training, but he would be his normal self on the weekends.

Could this be developmental?

Offline KellyC

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 20:05:16 pm »
I honestly don't know thought it could be that he needs less sleep as he's getting older so doesn't need 2 long naps.  He's also going down pretty early for his first nap which could be another reason.  I think it's better if you're only having one long nap to have it in the afternoon - closer to bedtime!

Kelly x

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 06:28:50 am »
I was just about to post this exact same routine. I would love any more input My daughter is 13 months old and on the exact same routine..

Offline KellyC

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:58:30 am »
Is your daughter's routine working for your her and for you?  If it is then keep with it!

Kelly x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 19:02:40 pm »
well we still seem to be having the problems with the naps - one day it is great and then the next it is not.

Have started putting him down later in the morning - although he does tend to get very ratty - he is always so tired after about 2 hours of being up in the morning.

Today he napped for 30 minutes in the am - I thought this would be ok cause then he might nap longer in the pm - but that was exactly the same.  He did wake up screaming.

He has just cut another tooth, so am thinking that this is probably the problem.  Will see how things go over the next couple of days. 

Will keep you posted.

Offline KellyC

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 19:38:00 pm »
It could well be the teeth.  What time did you put him down after his 30 minute nap?  Zander could easily take 3-3.5 hours A time after a long nap but as he only has 30 minutes in the morning he's back down again after just 2.5 hours for a long nap.

Kelly x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 19:52:01 pm »
It was about 2.5 hours, but took ages to settle him - he kept on sitting up in the cot and fighting his sleep.

Thankfully he has been asleep now for the night for nearly 2 hours - so hopefully he has settled for the evening.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 01:14:36 am »
Hi Paula,

Sounds like we are going through the same thing at the moment  ::)
Catherine prefers her long nap in the morning average is 1.5hrs if i try and limit this she is very cranky  ::)
However it is her PM nap i am battling with as it has gone from 1.5-1.15-1hr-45mins over the last month however she hasn't fough to take it. NOW however over the last few days she has started fighting it and then only sleeping 30mins and wakes up screaming.
I am thinking of doing the transition to 1 nap soon as i think she is telling me she is ready. We did the tranisition from 3-2naps at 5months.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 18:11:25 pm »
Hi Natasha,

Good to hear from you.  I have been thinking about doing the 1 nap too, but Thomas just cant seem to stay awake in the mornings.  The one time I tried to keep him awake he would not eat his snack and practically screamed the house down.

Today he had a 40 min nap in the morning and 45 in the afternoon, and was pretty cranky by 5:00 - I managed to get him bathed, bottle and was in bed by 6:30 and is flat out.

The thing is on the weekends when I am not in work his naps seem to be quite a bit better - I am wondering if it has a little bit to do with seperation anxiety or something.

Anyway - we go on holiday on Saturday, so am hoping that we will be able to get him back into some sort of routine, although I have been told that the holiday could make things worse  ???  However when we went on holiday when he was 5 months his naps did improve, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Will let you know how we get on when we are back.

Please PM me and let me know how you get on with going onto 1 nap.

Paula