Author Topic: Sleeping after a feed  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Randy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Sleeping after a feed
« on: May 28, 2006, 12:16:30 pm »
Hi All,

This is my first post although I have enjoyed reading the various topics for a while.

I am reading the BW book and I am very glad I found these forums.

My son is 3 weeks old today and I have been loosely following EASY but want to try and get us on it properly now.

I am breastfeeding during the day every 2.5-3 hours and expressing 2 x 4oz bottles for 2 night feeds.  I find that he falls asleep at the breast but with the bottles, I can get him to finish 4oz and then he sleeps a bit longer at night. He gets a dream feed (breast) at about 10/11pm too.

The problem I am having is keeping him awake after a feed during the day.  I cannot wake him up no matter what!  It is almost funny except that is is not helping with getting him into a routine.  ;D

Shoudl I just let him sleep? I cannot even keep him awake for 5 minutes activity!

Many thanks,

Randy & Charlie xx

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Sleeping after a feed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 12:21:16 pm »
Official welcome to the boards  ;D ;D ;D :P

You can try;
-changing his nappy after the feed (or just checking it :-\)
-I was advised to strip DS down to his vest or sometimes nothing (except nappy) when I was in hospital with him because he was very sleepy.
-Rubbing or blowing his hands (not feet)

Any more and I add....
Lauren x

Offline Randy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:40:20 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and the reply!  ;D

I've tried all of those tricks, stripping down, changing nappy, rubbing his hand/ears, fingers walking up his spine, but nothing.

So essentially, he has missed out his activity and awake time and has been asleep again for 40 minutes.  Admittedly, his nap before then was broken 3 times when he woke and I used shush pat to help him back to sleep.  Maybe he is just really tired?

Do I just carry on and let him sleep then try and get him back on track when he wakes?

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 12:44:56 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it for a couple of weeks, he may just be tried as you say.   However still try and wake him as you are and sooner or later he will ster to wake up more.
Lauren x