Author Topic: Changed DF time - unusual wakings???  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Rubycino

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 30, 2006, 00:28:16 am »
Hi Again

Just a quick query. Last night i moved DD(6.5 months) DF to 9.30pm instead of 10/10.30ish. Firstly thinking she would take less as we are trying to eliminate this feed as it is impacting on her 7am feed. However last night she took the entire 200mls at 9.30 after being fed dinner at 5pm and 200mls at 6.30pm. She went back to bed easliy after the DF but then woke at 3 times between 9.30 and midnight. I got up to her at midnight and wrapped her again and she then slept through till 6.45am.

I think this DF is starting to interupt her sleep (which is why we wanted to eliminate and also impacting on the morning feeds). I am just wondering where to from here?  do you think we should try not giving it to her at all or continue with the DF elimination process? I am not sure what is the best option as i would prefer her to sleep....

Any thoughts???

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: Changed DF time - unusual wakings???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 00:35:55 am »
hi, well i weaned DS from the DF, also by changing the hour, so first it was at 11pm, then for 3 weeks  at 10:30, then 2 weeks at 10, then one week at 9:30, and he was taking only 1oz, and he was waking up, so i decided to stop. I think your DD looks, similar to my DS (except she takes more oz), i would suggest to try and stop giving the DF, just see how it goes for one night, if it worked for me it might as well work for you too!

good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Offline Rubycino

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 22:35:55 pm »
Hi Esther

Well thanks for the advise. I was not game enough to completely drop the DF last night. Only for the following reason.

Ruby had 2 x 1.5 hour naps yesterday (which is unusual) and had all 3 meals and bottles. She had her last bottle at 6.45pm and was asleep by 7pm. However by 8pm she was crying in her sleep, i went in and resettled (checked for wind and put back to bed - she did not seem to wake at all). Then again at 9pm, i just resettled with my hand on her head and then the DF at 9.30pm i gave her only 100mls of her ususal 200mls. She then slept till 1am where i went in and could not resettle and thought it may have been teeth so i gave her some nurifen which did not seem to do anything as she was then awake again at 4am by which point i took her to bed with me for 1/2hour to get her back to sleep and then transfered her to her cot which she then woke 20mins later (i know, i know but i was tired!) in the end she slept/restlessly in our bed till 7am.

I have no idea what is causing these wakings, she normally goes to bed really well and we dont hear from her until the DF but this all seems to be changing. She wasnt hungry as at 7am she stil only took the ususal 120mls instead of the 200mls (which is why i wanted to drop the DF).

Any ideas on what to do and why this is happening???

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 00:18:19 am »
i do believe she is becoming restless because of the DF, so my advice would be again to drop it, but perhaps someone has another suggestion? :-\

Offline Rubycino

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:17:21 am »
Hi Esther

I agree the DF is a problem, but i dont think i can blame the earlier wakings on the DF can I? That is why i am confused....

Thankyou though tonight i am going to only feed if she wakes and will only feed a diluted solution of formula (just for taste)

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:24:55 am »
but i dont think i can blame the earlier wakings on the DF can I? That is why i am confused....

ok... well...let's see... can you post your routine so we can figure out what's happening?

Offline Rubycino

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:31:37 am »
Hi Stacy

Ruby is 6.5 months old. We stopped swaddling her at about 4 months as she struggled so much. I know she can sleep through the night unswaddled, however i reswaddled her as this seemed to extend her day time naps from 45 min to atleast 1.5 hours or perhaps it was coninsidental.

Amy

Offline Rubycino

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 22:43:16 pm »
Hi Esther and Stacy

Well last night started off well, Ruby was in bed by 7pm after having a good 2 hour nap in the afternoon. She went to sleep with no problems and then they started at 9pm 2 hours after she went down. She woke and would not settle. After trying for 30 min we decided to try some pain relief (she went to sleep) however it only lasted for 2.5 hours as she was up at 12 and i could tell she was hungy as i did not do the DF. So i gave her 80mls of diluted 50:50 formula and water. Back to bed straight away and then wide awake at 3:45am chatting. I left her until 4am when she was crying (i fed her a 140mls as i figured the DF formula had not tied her over). After this feed she was wide awake and ready for action. I ended up leaving her in her cot with some toys (as she wanted nothing to do with me). DH intervened and managed to get her back to sleep for 1.5 hours (on the lounge on his chest!).

I am not to sure what is going on anymore. We have gone from a baby that slept really well at night with no wakings to a baby that now wakes. I know you will suggest PU/PD but she is shuch a strong willed baby that i have tried it before to the point she vomited 1 hour aafter trying. I dont know if it is milestones (she started crawling at 5months 3/4's) was sick with a cold 2 weeks ago (but this was really mild and not impacting sleep too much) other than this i have no idea why she has decided to wake. Oh and it is not wind.

Well suppose i better get back to her before she kills the cat!