Author Topic: Still bf 6 mo. old  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Tida

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:17:24 am »
Well, I did my venting about this pregnancy on the pregnancy forum, so I won't do it again ::)
I'm happy, just very concerned and wasn't really ready.  My DS is 6 1/2 mo. (4 1/2 mo. true age) and the pregnancy test I took the other day was positive.  So I've read the rest of this thread and appreciate all of the information.  My concern is that I'm not doing occasional feeds with a toddler.  We're just now getting ready to start solids!  My son is small to begin with- he's on the fifth percentile of the preemie growth chart.  So far his pediatrician has not been concerned.  When he hears I'm pregnant is he going to tell me I need to stop bf?  I don't want to be stubborn, though, if he isn't getting enough.  But he had bloody stools in the NICU he's so sensitive to milk products, so I hate the idea of trying to find a formula that would be easy enough on his system.  Then there's the fact that he won't take a bottle or sippy cup.  Guess I'm going to have to work harder at that.  It would just be so hard on him!!!  I guess I'm getting way ahead of myself... I just don't want to stop.  I was pumping every two hours for five weeks while he was in the NICU and not yet strong enough to nurse.  Then when he came home it was put him to breast, weigh on a special scale to see how much he took, give supplemental bottle of expressed milk (yes, he used to take them all the time!), and pump.  It took up my whole day ( and night).  I worked so hard for this.  Maybe that's why the thought of the possibility of having to stop is so hard.  Wow, I sound whiny!  I apologize.  i just need to vent.  I know there are plenty of people out there who have it so much worse, and I do love the new little life....

Offline Tida

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:01:03 am »
Have you known people who did?  From other posts it sounded like your suppy drastically decreases.  I don't want to endanger his growth, but I want so much to continue.  With all he's been through, this is one thing that has been safe and soothing to him.  I would be willing to go back to pumping after each feed to keep up my supply.  Does it make any sense to do that?  Would that help?  What age were your friends babies when they got pregnant?  It's really encouraging to hear that it's possible.  What I've read so far has really been discouraging!

Offline Monika aka annamum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:15:50 am »
Hi,

Just a quick reply as I don't have much time now.

It really depends a lot on woman whether her milk dries up completely or not during pregnancy. For example, I am still nursing my 28 month old dd and I haven't noticed any decrease in my supply yet. I know that some women can sense decrease pretty soon, around 8 weeks or so and some can continue as normal through entire pregnancy. As long as your pregnancy is healthy, normal and you eat a good balanced diet you can nurse. Don't let any doctor tell you otherwise, they just are on a conservative side and are not familiar with nursing while pregnant concept at all. Go to: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html to find out more.

We also have a pregnant and breastfeeding thread on the top of this forum. Check it out.

Good luck!
tandem nursing mama to sweet Anna (Feb 2004) and Alexandra (born at home Dec 2006)

Offline Monika aka annamum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 03:21:43 am »
Just one more thing, there are actually quite a few members here who got pregnant while breastfeeding their infants and continue. It is definitely worth trying.
tandem nursing mama to sweet Anna (Feb 2004) and Alexandra (born at home Dec 2006)

Offline Fife_Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Still bf 6 mo. old
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 04:57:23 am »
In my experience, my supply decreased at around 20 weeks pregnant - we were still feeding 3/4 times daily (not including extra night-time feeds  ::)). I guess your Doctor's advice will depend on how high risk he deems your pregnancy (Congratulations BTW!!! I just read your other post). Look after yourself - resting and eating as well as you can with as little stress as you can manage. Fraser was 9 months though when I got pregnant, and essentially weaned himself at 14 months, but from my research at the time - here and elsewhere there is nothing to stop you feeding for as long as you want during and even tandem feeding after this pregnancy. If your supply keeps up you might also consider stock-piling EBM for when if you need it.
Sorry I waffled but good luck and congratulations again!

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:01:17 am »
Congratulations on your pregnancy!  I agree that you should be able to continue bf'ing your lo.  I bf my dd1 throughout my pregnancy (and then tandem fed), but she was about 11mo when I fell pregnant.  I can't recall when I noticed my supply reducing, but it did.  However I had also dropped to one feed per day, so that may well have had just as much to do with the supply reduction as the pregnancy itself.

I just had one thought - since your ds was born early, then maybe your new baby is at risk of being prem (I obviously don't know the reason for your ds's early arrival) - and your dr may well have a legitimate concern over that (with continued bf'ing).  The website mentioned above by Monika should give you good information about that (it really is a fantastic bf'ing website!).

Good luck!

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 13:02:34 pm »
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can definately attempt to do both.  My supply did dry up early on, but I was only bfing two times a day.  I know if I had pumped and worked at it, I likely could have gone on longer.

Here is a support link on our site for bfing moms that are pregnant. 

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54357.75
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Tida

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 22:47:56 pm »
Thank you all so much for your encouragement!!  I've had some time to calm down and gain some perspective with some help from your comments and prayer.  I really appreciate all the advice and the reference to the website.  I'll try to take it a day at a time and not worry about what has not yet happened.  My first appointment is next Thursday (the 8th).  After that I'll call the pediatrician to make him aware and we'll go from there.  If I can make it to 20 weeks that would be great.  Maybe I'll start to pump and store.  It's ironic.  We just thawed and dumped most of the leftover of what I pumped while my son was in the NICU becauset the door to the freezer didn't get shut tight the one time.  Anyway, thank you all again for all of your support, encouragement, and advice!

Offline Petunia

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 17:11:05 pm »
I just had to add my experience....for what it's worth...

I know of a woman who has eight children and who got pregnant will alll her children by the time her previous infant was five months old (except her first obviously).  She still breastfed all her children for long amounts of time.  Now, I think she's crazy....but it does show that you can breastfeed an infant while preggo.

Remember, too, that your lo will be on solids soon and that if you're consistent and all goes well, he will be taking many more calories from solids in just a few months.  By the time you reach 20 weeks in your pregnancy your first-born should be down to 3 or 4 breastfeeds a day and none at night.  So your body will not have to make as much milk as it does right now.

Offline Tida

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 01:27:37 am »
Thanks so much for sharing that.  How encouraging!!! :)

Offline Tida

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 00:42:23 am »
Ditto what stacy said!  Just had to get on again to ramble.   I'm just obsessing.  I feel like I can't remember anymore what my ds's eating habits were like before.  I feel like he's hungry more often and seems dissatisfied, but is it in my head?  I'm trying to watch his diapers, but again, I feel like I can't remember how many he was having before.  Honestly, I didn't pay much attention.  So now I stand there feeling his diapers wondering whether or not they would qualify as wet.  He's been flatly refusing the bottle and lately I had slacked off on trying to get him to take one.  This afternoon I wondered if he was still hungry after I fed him, so I thawed some bm and offered him a bottle and he took it!!  I should just rejoice, but it just made me think, "Wow, he really must have been hungry!"  I should have measured how much he ate I'm guessing it was an ounce, but maybe it was two, but it wasn't all that was in the bottle.  I know that no one can give me answers because it's all so subjective since I can't see inside of him to know for sure how much he's getting.  I just wanted a chance to ramble about my fears.  Thanks!

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 19:40:31 pm »
That's what we're here for, ramble away!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 21:30:59 pm »
Hi ya,

Sorry I haven't had time to read all the responses in detail. I continued to bf whilst pregnant. I got pregnant when DD was 9 months. I did kinda feel my supply changing towards the end of me feeding (11.5 months). I think it's important to remember that your lo is feeding more than what a 1yr old is. For those who say there milk dried up I would ask how old the child is. Boobs work best when the demand is there so I would guess belongs the milk and solids balance is ok boobs should hopefully keep up the good work. Of course I am no expert.

Congratulations on the pregnancy and well done for keeping the feeding going through the early weeks (that must have been tough).

J x
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline Tida

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 23:39:46 pm »
THANKS!  We're still at it and so far we're fine.  We started cereal yesterday, and that's going well.  Thanks for the support!