Author Topic: Teething...doesn't want bottles  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:00:51 am »
My 11 mo old lo is cutting his 3rd bottom tooth. :-[  Getting bottles in him is a struggle.  The only one he will take well is his morning bottle.  I use Playtex bottles and have tried to change the teat to a faster one but he bobs off and on even more with the faster one (too fast).  I have tried giving it in a sippy, tried teething gel prior.  Recently switched the solids fist at lunch in hopes he will take more bottle but now less.  Any suggestions???  Bedtime is the worst--i have to sit him in front of baby einstein or he won't eat a thing.  still taking same amt of solids for the last month.  should i do bottles first???  should i try evening bottle at 5 and solids at 6??? How much milk does he need??? i worry he isn't getting enough. BTW he loves water in his sippy, i tried switching to milk but won't take it either.

530-6 wakeup
6 bottle --5-6oz EBM mix with homo
700-730 solids  7T cereal mix with 3 oz EBM and 4T fruit with cheerios
900 nap
1100--solids 6T mix meat, veg and pasta with cheese, 1 baby yogourt and 2T fruit and water in sippy
130 bottle 4 oz EBM mix with homo (struggle to get that in)
2-230 nap
400 snack with sips water in sippy
500 supper same as lunch
7-730 bottle and bed (4-5 oz)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Teething...doesn't want bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 19:02:09 pm »
Hi,

I know exactly what you are going through.  DS went through a couple of phases like this - the longest being that he even refused bottles for 5 days straight.

What I resorted to doing was:-

-   Make his bottle up as usual and offer it to him
-   If he refused it I would offer it to him as a dreamfeed, - at least then I knew that he was getting a little bit of milk in him.

I was very concerned as he was not getting anywhere near his quota of 21oz a day, and spoke to my HV who said that you cannot force them.  I then decided not to panic and offered him his bottles as usual, and eventually he did take them.

The quota that they need until 1 are 21oz a day, but this does not just include formula, it includes their yoghurts, cheeses etc.

This phase will pass.

Hugs - I know what you are going through.

Keep us posted.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 01:52:08 am »
Thanks for the support!! 

Today took 22 oz ???
I changed the nipple.  He was on Playtex fast flow but still too slow so now we are using the Tricut with better success.

Sabine