Author Topic: vomiting after the first morning feeding  (Read 6280 times)

Offline reem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 01, 2006, 13:46:56 pm »
My baby boy is 6 weeks old and lately he has started to vomit his entire morning feed 10 mins into feeding (breast feeding) - he also brings up a cottage cheese like liquid when he burps - is this normal?  Should I see his doctor?

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: vomiting after the first morning feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 14:29:04 pm »
how much is he throwing up? it is normal for some spit up...what if you tried burping him more often when feeding?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 18:57:01 pm »
Spitting up does increase around that age as well.  If you are at all concerned, please see your doctor.  With my first daughter, she spit up a lot until we realized we were over feeding her.  (I kept insisting she eat more b/c I didn't think she was on the breast long enough)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Petunia

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 16:39:56 pm »
Just a thought...a mother's milk supply is usually more than plentiful first thing in the morning.  Is it possible that he is taking in too much?  Over-feeding can cause spitting up because infant's digestive systems are still immature.  It's possible that what you see him vomiting up could be only half of what he ate if indeed he is being over-fed.

However, the 'cottage cheese' looking vomit is something I don't have an answer for.

Since it's only the morning feed that he's spitting up I think he's just getting too much in that one feeding. 

Here's an article with information about spitting up and breastfed babies:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Offline reem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 06:12:56 am »
Thanks for your replies - wes eem to have moved from vomiting to having a cold (stuffy nose and coughs) - I'm using the bulb to clear his nostrils but I need advice on how to put him to sleep during the day and to know whether I can do anything to get rid of this cold  :(

Offline Petunia

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 18:16:33 pm »
I know you can use saline drops in the nose to help clear the nasal passages (they sell them just for babies).  I don't believe you can give anything else to one so young.  Putting him in the bathroom with you while you shower helps clear his nose and loosen congestion in the chest.  A humidifier in his bedroom can help alleviate the congestion as well.

Good luck getting him to sleep.  Babies have a difficult time when they are forced to breath through their mouth.  Plan on not having a great routine, his possibly skipping naps (or shortening them) because of discomfort and then sleeping at odd times because of exhaustion.  I wouldn't worry about skipped naps as much as loosing nighttime sleep - a pattern you don't want to set.  He's so young that you may consider doing what my pediatrician recommended, putting him to sleep in his carseat (in the house, not in the car).  That way the fluid from his nose doesn't drain into his ears and you might avoid an ear infection.

He will get better soon and then things will return to normal.  If you notice him feeding less because of his illness, try to pump so that you don't have a supply issue a week down the road when he starts feeding robustly again.