Author Topic: Mom with PPD needs help. No confidence  (Read 915 times)

Offline sk4399

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mom with PPD needs help. No confidence
« on: June 01, 2006, 17:56:11 pm »
Hello again,
I am a second time Mom with PPD.  Part of having PPD makes me have no confidence in myslef what so ever.  My DD is 5 weeks old and I have been doing EASY since she was 2 weeks.  I have no trouble with the feeding part, or keeping her awake for A, but the trouble comes when I try to get her back to sleep after A.  I have a short wind down routine when I see that she's getting tired (about 45 minutes to 1 hr), I swaddle her (with arms out, see previous post) and rock her for a little bit until she looks dopey.  I then put her on her side in her crib and start to shh and pat.  Here is where I need help.  I have read Tracy's book, but could you please help me and tell me exactly how you do it?  I seriously am so worked up that I need it written out like a 5 year old :)

TIA
KAty
Katy :)

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Mom with PPD needs help. No confidence
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 18:12:28 pm »
Hi Katy, I'm sorry that you're having troubles. I had the same struggles when my DD was about that age.  I had zero confidence in my abilities as a mother.  I loved her so much, but it seemed that all I did was make her cry when it came to sleep time.  I discovered months later that I too was battling PPD and her sleep was all that I could think about.  How my day was depended on how much slepp DD got.  I started doing some breathing exercises when I would get worked up and it seemed to help.   It still all kind of a messy blur, but we did get through it and she did learn to fall asleep on her own.  Its seems to me that I would do the wind down, then hold her and bounce her in my arms ( I know Tracy says not to do this :-\)unitl she was nearly asleep, then gently lay her down and pat her and shhh until she fell asleep.  Often she would wake up after a jolt and I would start patting and shhhing again.  Some days this would go on for an hour or more. Then I would just get her up and try again in a while.  On the really bad days, I would just rock her.  I figured that her getting some sleep was better than none, regardless of how it was done. .  As time went on (I seriously think it took about a month), I could eventually skip the bouncing at the beginning and lay her down more and more awake.  I'm sorry I can't remember the exact steps, I'm sure the mods can help you more.  I just wanted to let you know that it does get easier once they get the hang of it. :) :)
Jessica