Author Topic: 5 1/2 month old still on 3 hour schedule  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
5 1/2 month old still on 3 hour schedule
« on: June 01, 2006, 18:09:51 pm »
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here.  My 5 1/2 month old is still on a regular 3 hour schedule and I have some questions.
First, here is our routine:

8 a.m. wake & bottle feed (5-6 oz)
Activity
10 a.m. sleep 30 min. to 1 hour
11 a.m. 2 tbls oatmeal & 3-4 oz bottle
Activity
1 p.m. sleep 30min to 1 hour
2 p.m. bottle feed (5-6 oz)
Activity
4 p.m. sleep 30min to 1 hour
5 p.m. 2-3 tbls rice cereal & half jar veggie with 1-2 oz bottle
7 p.m. cat nap 30 minutes
8 p.m. bottle (5-6 oz) and bedtime routine to follow

A few things: my daugher can't eat more than 6 oz without spitting up.  So I no longer try to have her eat more.
Lately, she's not finishing her bottles (thats a sign she's ready for a 4 hour schedule?)
She sleeps through the night  just fine.

I would like to move her to the 4 hour schedule and have read some advice here regarding stretching awake times etc.  Only, I find a stretched activity/awake time does not always result in a longer nap.  I understand I'll have to do some PU/PD time to get that moving in the right direction.

But here is my big unknown -- right now she eats 5 times a day between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.  I don't understand how to make sure she gets the intake she needs only eating 4 times in 12 hours when she's not able to drink more than 6 oz in a feeding without spitting up.

Can someone help explain how that all works?  I remember feeling this way when she went from eating 6 times a day down to 5.  I just can't figure out how eating 4 times a day works in there.  Or am I missing something?

Thanks very much.  My daughter has been on EASY since birth -- I've BF and weened on it and have had such success.  Grant it, I'm sure she's a happy baby all on her own irregardless of schedules, but I really believe in this method and would like to keep it going as she grows.

Jill

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: 5 1/2 month old still on 3 hour schedule
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:35:29 am »
Hi there, sorry this post has been missed.

Quote (selected)
I don't understand how to make sure she gets the intake she needs only eating 4 times in 12 hours when she's not able to drink more than 6 oz in a feeding without spitting up.

I think the reason why she is spitting up is because her tummy is so full with solids and milk as you are still on a 3hr EASY.  As you move onto a 4 hr schedule she will take more in her bottles (like an extra 1 oz) without spitting up.

Quote (selected)
Lately, she's not finishing her bottles (thats a sign she's ready for a 4 hour schedule?)

Yes it is, but also bear in mind that she is having a lot of solids.  Cut back on the solids as this is just practice,  her milk is much important to her than solids.

Quote (selected)
Only, I find a stretched activity/awake time does not always result in a longer nap.  I understand I'll have to do some PU/PD time to get that moving in the right direction.

How long are you stretching it?  With my DD I done 5-10mins every 3/4 days.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel