Author Topic: Weaning??  (Read 826 times)

Offline Lilasmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: June 04, 2006, 16:42:57 pm »
DD is 6 1/2 months old and has been exclusively BF since birth.  For the last month she's been such a finiky eater.  She gets so distracted while eating.  She has to turn her head and reach for everything in sight.  Between this she'll eat for a few seconds than stop and back to squirming.  She's also been waking a lot to eat at night, and I'm thinking it's because she's not eating much at feeding times (too busy squirming).  I've tried blocking out stimuation, and making the room completely quite.  Nothing works.  Just wondering if these are signs that she is trying to wean herself??

Offline Tamara

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
Re: Weaning??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 18:34:47 pm »
I personally would think not.  I think it's more the age she's at - I remember DD becoming annoyingly nosey at this sort of age, making it a lot more tricky to BF in public!!  ::)

Even if you were to wean the BF and convert to bottles, I think you'd find yourself with the same problem, she'd be distracted and want to play with the bottle.

Are you still feeding as often as you were?  Perhaps you could leave longer gaps between feeds so that she may be more hungry when you next feed and stick at it properly if she's hungry.

I'd say - don't wean, it's a phase whcih you'll learn to adapt to.  I think you have to realise that she'll never go back to just looking at you during feeding again though, but persevere and i'm sure you'll mangage.  You've done a great job so far, keep going - keep going!!!  :)