Author Topic: lip smacking..new trick or something else????  (Read 16181 times)

Offline newmommyl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
lip smacking..new trick or something else????
« on: June 09, 2006, 13:56:18 pm »
I wasn't sure where to put this question b/c it's not really eat, sleep or activity but...my 3 mos old dd has taken to lip smacking.  i'm just wondering if this is a new trick like razzing, or is she thirsty???  or looking for the paci (which i really hope not), early teething?.  Anyone have any experience w/ this?  Thanks ;D

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: lip smacking..new trick or something else????
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 18:54:31 pm »
My feeling is that its a new trick. Will has been through loads of things like this - including lip smacking, sticking his tongue out, raspberries, shouting etc etc...

It could also be a sign of gum discomfort/ teething - 3 months isn't all that early when it comes to teething - the teeth start pushing down through the gums right from the start in some LOs - Will was 8 weeks old when he had the first signs - although a tooth didnt actually appear until 8 months! You can get teething gel that is usable from birth - pop a tiny bit on a see if it makes a difference.

I am pretty sure but I doubt your LO is thirsty of she is taking all of her milk etc.. but I guess you could offer her a drink of water just in case.

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 19:16:16 pm »
Hi there, my DD is also 3 months and she has just discovered this new trick also. However she tends to do it while watching us eat!! I always just think she is asking "wheres mine??."  I also think she may be teething as she is very drooly (sp?? is this even a real word??)  and she keeps randomly letting out shrieks and crys. I'm not sure which of these is connected to the lip smacking but I would say it is just a new trick. Isn't it so cute??

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 19:57:45 pm »
My lo is 4 months and does this too - he has just gotten one bottom tooth with another on the way and I think its related to the teething - reaches the parts dummies don't reach!

Offline newmommyl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 22:05:32 pm »
thanks everyone, i had a feeling it was just her latest newly learned skill.  but it's interesting to read that teething can begin so early, i had no idea.  she's always been a hand sucker but now she's at it more than ever.  she doesn't appear to be in pain at all but she definitely shows from frustration once in awhile when she's sucking like she's not getting the sucking where she needs or wants.  does that sound dumb?!   :P  i think you know what i mean though. 
thanks again, your little ones are adorable  :)

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 22:13:01 pm »
yes--definately know what you mean---my 4 1/2 month ds does that to----chews on his hands and then lets out a shreek as if he is frustrated, also loads of drool right now.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013