Author Topic: Goats Milk  (Read 1415 times)

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
Goats Milk
« on: June 11, 2006, 17:07:18 pm »
When is goats milk 'safe' for babies?
I have goats milk and DS always wants to eat what I have ::). He is 14 months, is he ok to have it now?

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline Tamara

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
Re: Goats Milk
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 22:04:41 pm »
Can't think of a reason as to why not - as I've said in other posts, I always go along the lines of 'if it's safe for me, then it's safe for a child over 12 months old' (as long as it's not a choking hazzard)

I found this on a 'rival' board

Can I give my toddler goat's milk?
 Goat’s milk is unsuitable for babies until the age of six months. It is deficient in folic acid, so a supplement would need to be given. It also contains lactose (milk sugar), so if your baby were lactose-intolerant, it would still not be suitable. Goat’s milk formula has passed all EC and World Health Organisation regulations for baby milk formula, so it is suitable from birth. The manufacturers state that it has added folic acid, but it still contains lactose, so once again is not suitable for lactose intolerance. The Department of Health guidelines state that it should only be given if clinically indicated.

HTH

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 00:19:01 am »
Aha, that makes sense. Ds gets horribly constipated if he so much as looks at dairy, so I tried goat's milk, which had the same effect. I didn't know it had lactose in it, thanks Tamara.

If anyone's interested - ds is getting on great with rice milk.

(sorry to highjack your thread, but it's cleared up a mystery for me ;) :))
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:50:36 am »
Thankyou Tamara thats a graet help.

Caroline as its you I'll forgive you for the highjacking, but only cos its you ;)

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline ~Kellie~

• Mummy~Moo~Ma
  • Showing Appreciation 105
  • Mummy's Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:33:54 am »
If anyone's interested - ds is getting on great with rice milk.

I'm interested  ;)

DD is also getting on great with rice milk, and I'm happy to report that her skin has cleared up brilliantly!

The only downside is grocery shopping is taking twice as long now......having to check everything for dairy!  ::)

Kellie x

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 15:53:53 pm »
caroline and Kellie, i am interested too  ;)

fyi: we did great on rice milk also, but very low in fat.  So i measured out her milk for the day, then added 1/2 tbs of flax oil to container (so it was spread across the day).  Good for lots of thinks...askdrsears.com recommends it for everyone.  We then moved over to Soy milk for the extra protein as dd still doesn't eat any meat or beans...but that is for another thread.  Only bummer about flax oil, the split milk stains everything~!

Shaysmum: Our Ped didn't recommend goats milk as an alternative, something to do w/ a link to aniema...i would check w/ your dr first!