Author Topic: What happens if I don't do sh/pat?  (Read 652 times)

Offline Gena B

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What happens if I don't do sh/pat?
« on: June 13, 2006, 14:55:22 pm »
What will happen if I just let my 11 week old take short naps?  I've been trying sh/pat for three days and I'm not seeing much of a difference and I'm becoming quite frustrated.  Is this developmental and he'll outgrow it or will he always take short naps if I don't do this now? 

Also, I don't know if he's too young, but he gets himself so worked up that I've been picking him up to calm him and then putting him back down.  Should I be doing this?

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Re: What happens if I don't do sh/pat?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 18:59:08 pm »
My husband and I actually do a version of pat/shh for our 10 week old that seems to really work.  We found a clock/cd player that has ocean sounds on it.  We play that, which is extremely calming, swaddle her and rest the palm of our hand on her chest/belly and gently move her so that her body jiggles just a bit.  If she needs her pacifier we use our index finger to help it stay in.  We watch for her cues and sometimes we just leave our hand on her chest/belly and that is soothing enough for her.  As her eyes starts to closes I start slowing everything down and moving out of the way so that she can fall asleep on her own.  Maybe this will help.  I would just suggest trying variations of different things to see what works for your lo.

Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/