Author Topic: would too much nighttime sleep cause nap probs?  (Read 960 times)

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
would too much nighttime sleep cause nap probs?
« on: June 13, 2006, 20:42:34 pm »
avery just turned 3 months old, and has been on a 3 hr easy since about week 2. the last 2 weeks she has started sleeping from bedtime (around 6-7... closer to 6 than 7) and goes about 10-12 hrs from last feed. she wakes usually before 6, which i feel is not enough nighttime sleep for her, so i usually put her right back to bed (treat it as a nw) she falls right back to sleep, unless it is after 6, then she has a hard time going right back to bed.. (so i don't push it then)

anyway, my ? is, if she feeds at 5:30, i put her back to bed, and then should i let her wake naturally? (if so, she goes til 8:30) or should i wake her before then? she usually does great and has solid 2 hr naps at least morning and early afternoon, but today she is thrown off, and i am wondering if she slept too much last night...

here is a typical day: (yesterday actually)
E 4am (back to sleep)
E 8:15 am
A 8:35-9:15 (very active, trying to roll over)
S 9:15-11:15 (solid sleep- out like a light!)

E 11:15
A 11:30-12:15 (at store.. yawn at 12:05, fussy too)
S in bed at 12:15, looked at hands, half-slept, etc til 1:15.. slept from 1:15-2:00

E 2:05 (seemed a bit distracted, not eating as well)
A 2:15-3:08
S 3:10 down in bed.. at 3:23 she was sounding hungry, so i fed her a bit, asleep in about 8 min til 4:40

E 4:50-5:00 (ok, not great feed)
A 5:00- it was a little early for bath, but we did it anyway...i wanted her to sleep til 5:15, and then in bed usually by 6:15)..
    so, bath, massage with daddy, cd, etc... regular routine.. fussy at end..
S 5:39 in bed... slept til 6:30. then hunger cry
E 6:30 (put bedtime cd back on, and put her back in bed)
S 6:45 (sleep for the night by prob 7:00/7:15)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: would too much nighttime sleep cause nap probs?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:47:38 am »
I'm sorry that you haven't received a reply yet.  I'll try to have a good look at your post tomorrow.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 00:22:56 am »
How are things going since your post?  The best I can tell you is that most lo's only need a certain number of cumulative sleep hours, and if they get them all in night hours and a huge early nap, it very possibly can make it hard for them to get to sleep for the rest of the day.  Then, if it continues like that for several days, you may run into a vicious cycle of overtiredness that could result in night wakings.  My suggestion would be to continue treating the pre-6 am wakings as nightwakings, and have a set wake time some where between 7-8 am.  Many families like to go with 7 am simply b/c most babies seem to wake around that hour naturally.  My dd, though, has always been an 8 am girl (much to my delight  ;D).  Then, you will follow her sleep cues and A time length from the time she does wake for the day, and adjust your nap times accordingly.  Tracy did recommend to limit naps to 2 hrs, so you are doing great there.

Again, sorry for the delay in replying to your post.  If you still need more help, please ask.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 14:53:37 pm »
thanks heather, for your help :) i have made some adjustments in her schedule, and she seems to be doing better at naptime and at night :) i decided to give her a start time for the day, that way the day would develop into a more predictable routine.. for both of us! i appreciate your advice!!