Author Topic: Help 3 week old day/night confusion....  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: June 15, 2006, 20:35:25 pm »
My 3 week old son came home absolutely wonderful.  He'd pull 4-5 hours and then go back to sleep for another 3.5. 

Within the past week, however, this changed.  He's now doing 4 hours during the day twice (I wake him at 4 hours).  When I wake him, he takes the feed half asleep and then goes back to sleep after the feed.  There is no keeping him up for "activity" time. 

How should I handle this?????  Should I continue to wake him or should I just let him figure it out on his own? 

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Help 3 week old day/night confusion....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 01:00:19 am »
I was told to wake dd for feeds every 2.5-3 hrs the first weeks, then 3 hrs after that.  Is he sleeping during the night the same?
Was he premature, jaundiced, low birth-weight?

Ok, I just saw in your title that he has days and nights confused.  In that case, with exception for any medical circumstances, you should wake him for feeds during the day.  This will help him to get more of his calories during the day, and help set his internal clock to a 12 hr day/night rather than a 24 hr day.  Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:02:33 am by HeatherC »
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 01:57:16 am »
We are back on track with night/day I THINK and pray!

For now our issue with EASY is that my son does more of a EA ES EA ES type thing.  He just refuses to sleep at some parts of the day, yet goes in so easily for others.  I'm not sure how much I should be pushing him to sleep and stay on EASY at 3 weeks old.

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 16:23:53 pm »
I think at 3 weeks old it is still a "get-to-know-you" period, and you can just try to edge toward EASY.  You could start by working on falling asleep without being fed if you feel that might be a potential problem.  Right now he's hardly going to have any A time, so just work right now to meet his needs-feeding, sleeping.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007