Author Topic: EASY on 1 hour wake time and 45 minute nap  (Read 1154 times)

Offline malachi's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
EASY on 1 hour wake time and 45 minute nap
« on: June 19, 2006, 07:53:46 am »
As with many other people I have previously posted on this board asking how to implement EASY when my lo only has 45 minute naps - I still can't get it right. I have been trying to implement EASY since he was 3 weeks old - he is now 12 weeks old and I still am unable to get my lo to eat and sleep at a similar time every day because not only does he mostly nap for 45 mins he also can only stay awake for 1 hour. I have tried to extend his wind down routing by reading him a book, talking him to him quietly, etc. but he just gets cranky and wants to go to sleep. He ends up feeding every 2 and 1/2 hours and me trying to put him to sleep an extra time than he would on 3 hour EASY. Here are what a day may can look like for my lo. (these times always change as he sometimes wakes at 6.30am - my preferance is 7 - and his long nap can be in the morning or afternoon)

E 6am
A 6.30 to 7
S 7 to 7.45 then 30 - 45 mins of resettling

E 8.30 (only 2 1/2 hours later, otherwise will be feeding when ready for sleep)
A 9 to 9.30
S 9.30 to 10.15 maybe 30 to 45 mins resettling or Activity for 1/2 hour

E 11
A 11.30 to 12
S 12 to 1.30

E 1.30
A until 2.30
S 2.30 to 3.30

E 4
A including bath until 6
E 6
down to bed which can sometimes take an hour and a half for him to sleep, then he is up every 3 hours for a feed.

I find it really stressful trying to stick to a routine, sometimes  he is awake for 1/2 hour before I feed him and then he wants to go to sleep way too soon before his next feed is due.
i thought at 12 weeks he would be able to stay up longer.

Offline MomToMatthew

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: EASY on 1 hour wake time and 45 minute nap
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 20:32:57 pm »
I totally feel for you. My son is the EXACT same way.  I keep thinking he should be staying awake longer, but he really can't. This is the way I look at it. First, I think it's okay to be on a two hour schedule. Just think of all the feeds he will get during the day so he might not need the calories at night. (And remember that lots of suckling keeps your supply up and possible keeps you from ovulating.) And if he doesn't need to be eating that much, he'll just have short feeds and you can still stay on a schedule until he can stay up a little longer. I think the most important thing anyway is that he isn't getting fed right before sleeping so that he doesn't make the connection to eating and sleeping and also that he's well rested so he won't fall asleep during a feed. Second, I have been reading Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child (which is written by a Dr who has actually done scientific research) and it says that 12 weeks is just when babies are beginning to organize their sleeping times and into the three naps per day type pattern (which is what you get if you're on a 3 hour easy). So this is where I stand on the issue now at the moment, because if I can't figure out how to change it I'll feel like a failure. I'll also be watching to see if anyone responds to your post with some good suggestions. Also, one thing I've been doing right after these cat naps is to fit in tummy time because tummy time even 45 minutes after eating usually results in big spit ups for him. Then I go ahead and feed him.

Offline renollem

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 02:41:47 am »
I completely understand your plight.  I need similar help.

13 week old has over the past 2 weeks dropped all her naps to 45 min or less.  She's great through the night (up once during a 7-10 hr stretch) 

I've tried desparately for the past 8 weeks to keep her on a 3 hr EASY.  It has worked ok, but the past few weeks slowly fallen apart.  I have a 2 yr old too and I can't spend 45-50 min trying to get her back to sleep several times a day.  I've tried, but it's not worth it, my other one gets into all kinds of trouble.

I too have used the early wake time for Tummy Time Reflux babies don't get much tummy time on a 3 hr EASY if you keep them upright for 30-45 min after eating...

I'm trying to shh pat her back to sleep.  I may try the pressure on her leg and shoulder at 35-38 min after her sleep (read about that on another post) to keep her jolting from waking her up. 

Offline malachi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 08:32:41 am »
We have had some progress the last two days and he has happily stayed up for 1 hour and a half after his first activity time, he also had two long naps today. I have been thinking that maybe he only needs 45 minute naps if his only up for an hour and as he grows and his activities increase he may nap longer. He has also had two nights of sleeping a little better only waking once a night, which may help him stay up longer during the day.