Author Topic: Mixing stored breastmilk  (Read 888 times)

Offline esthere

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • all you need is hope trust and a little pixie dust
« on: June 19, 2006, 18:48:32 pm »
I am so sorry for having to use this forum when I am no longer breastfeeding but am trying to help my friend, so hope its ok. When I was breast feeding Harry , I did not start to pump until 5 months so was able to get 6-8 ozs, therefore I always had enough for a bottle. My question is, if you are getting 2 or 3 ozs when pumping each day , is it possible to freeze these amounts and then mix them into one bottle ?
Many Many thanks in advance, I really want to help her as there is not much support over here  :(

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Mixing stored breastmilk
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 18:52:11 pm »
Yep. YOu can layer them. Freeze first pumping session. Then layer second session onto first (as long as frozen is greater volume), etc. Or you can collect in bottle in fridge over several pumping session and then freeze together. Or pump into individual freezer bags and freeze separately.
Jeni

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 18:55:47 pm »
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Is she freezing separate bottles of 2-3 oz, and then mixing?  Or mixing bm from several pumping sessions, and then freezing the whole amount?

Pumping 2-3 oz, freezing, then pumping 2-3 oz freezing - then thawing and mixing together is fine.

If mixing milk from more than one pumping session before freezing, make sure all the milk is chilled to the same temperature before combining.

Personally, I like to recommend freezing milk in smaller amounts rather than large bags of 6-8 oz.  If you freeze bags containing 3-4 oz, you can offer one to baby.  If he's still hungry you can give another, but if not, you won't be wasting any bm.

Offline Sam's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • hooray for me
Re: Mixing stored breastmilk
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 19:06:22 pm »
Hi

I do this a lot throughout the day as I usually get anywhere from 2-4oz per session.  I've found it easier to offer the whole 6-7oz as then I know she's taken a full feed as if she were taking it from me (rather my dh does when I'm not around).  She normally starts to let the milk run down her face when she is finished (around 4 months old), but there not usually a lot let over, maybe 1/2ounce at most.  I've also read and used the method of combining bm and formula if you don't have enough for a full bottle.  I used this when I first started expressing as I couldn't get enough for the full feed in the first couple of days... although if she can manage it exclusive bm is better.

Offline esthere

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • all you need is hope trust and a little pixie dust
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 19:09:51 pm »
I just knew BW would not let me down !!
Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me
lots of love to you all :-*