Author Topic: Breastfreeding VS. EBM in bottle question  (Read 774 times)

Offline liljava

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Breastfreeding VS. EBM in bottle question
« on: June 21, 2006, 17:47:23 pm »
My son is 4 1/2 months old and is exclusively breastfeed no solids. I am trying to get him to not be a snacker and go longer inbetween feeds(currently is eating every 2 hrs). We have been giving him 1 bottle a day since 5 weeks of EBM right before bed. Well around three months he started to refuse the bottle so with this struggle we started giving him 2 to three bottles a day to prepare him for daycare. well i notice when i give him a bottle 5oz. he lasts longer inbtween feedings than on breast. He is usually only feeding 10minutes on breast. I know babies get more efficient but it just seams like he is not lasting very long. anyone else have this problem? I dont think five oz is to much. Do you think im overfeeding him with the bottle. what is norm for a 4 1/2 month old to drink. My son is 14lbs and 26 inches long.

thanks misty

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: Breastfreeding VS. EBM in bottle question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 23:43:39 pm »
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

How many times is he feeding during a 24 hr period?  According to kellymom.com, exclusively breast fed babies require anywhere from 19-30 oz per day, with about 25 oz a day being the average.  Just divide that into the number of times you're feeding him, and you should have a good idea of what quantity you should be giving at each feeding.

He could be wanting to nurse more often for the comfort factor too.  Maybe he just likes feeling close to you.

When he does nurse, you could try doing breast compressions to encourage him to keep drinking, and that might help him last a bit longer in between feedings.