Author Topic: Discomfort after feeds. Difficult to settle.  (Read 705 times)

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Discomfort after feeds. Difficult to settle.
« on: July 19, 2006, 07:22:39 am »
After my lo has his night feeds i put him into cot and he is quiet for few mins then starts to squirm presumably with wind.  I go in and burp him when he starts to cry this resettles him and this can go on for anything from 15 mins to last night 2 1/4hrs after the feed.  He isn't screaming he just cries a little.  No prob during day but is awake straight after a feed on EASY.  4 weeks old and taking 5 oz faleys at each feed.  anyone had a similar problem or has any ideas?
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Discomfort after feeds. Difficult to settle.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:15:54 am »
Hi Fenella

Could he possibly have reflux?  My lo was diagnosed at 4 weeks old and his problems were worse at his bedtime feed - sometimes he would spit up and sometimes not, but he aways seemed to have a lot of discomfort.  Could be worth mentioning to your gp or hv to see what they think, as if he's windy or refluxy there's stuff that can be done - you might want to check out the colic and reflux thread.  In my son's case, the gp said it was one of the worst cases he'd come across and he was given Carobel powder (a thickener) for his bottles plus paracetamol.  We're in the UK and I give him Cow&Gate Comfort which is one of those formulas to help digestion. 

One thing that I found did help my ds at night was to raise the head of his mattress a little, just using a folded up blanket underneath the mattress.  I was also advised that after all his feeds to keep him at an upright angle (eg sitting in his bouncy chair) for half an hour after feeds to minimise the reflux.

Sending you big hugs too!