Author Topic: 4.5 mo old, night/nap terrors?- help!  (Read 1532 times)

Offline loki_31

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 19, 2006, 20:04:48 pm »
Hi,
My 4.5 month old son appears to be suffering from nap/night terrors, I am wondering if there is anything we can do to help him?
It does not happen at every nap or every night..but it is pretty often.  He will start screaming in his sleep- no buildup or waking sounds, just start screaming at the top of his lungs.  When we go in often times his pacifier is still his mouth, eyes are still closed and he just screams.  We don't pick him up or anything after trying that only to find it makes it much worse.
Has anyone else delt with this in a child this young..anyway we can help him?
His doctor said it is common and to just let him cry, he does not even know he is doing this ...easier said than done, especially at night.
He is still fully swaddled, we have tried letting his arms out, not swaddling and he is just not ready yet.  He has the terrors in any of the mentioned scenarios.
help!

andibig

Re: 4.5 mo old, night/nap terrors?- help!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 20:14:28 pm »
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
poor LO (and you!). i know night terrors can start at around 9 mths and usually the advice is to leave them in thier crib/bed but maybe place a hand on them - as they are not really awake or asleep. night terrors occur when they are transitioning from one sleep cycle to the next and they sort of get stuck (sorry couldn't think of another way to describe it!!) and tends to be made worse by overtiredness.
my only other thought was maybe some pain might be causing the crying (wind etc)
HTH

Offline loki_31

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 20:30:21 pm »
thanks for the response, I am pretty sure he is not in pain as when he is awake he is just the happiest little guy, hardly ever cries unless he is hungry or tired.  It does seem to happen at the end of a sleep cycle (for example one just happened about 10 minutes ago and he had been down for 45 minutes).  I just went in and held his little hands and after a few minutes he went back into peaceful sleep.

andibig

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 20:36:23 pm »
aww bless him!!!!
have a look at the baby centre website (think its http://www.babycentre.co.uk) as they have some good advice about night terrors