Author Topic: oil or butter?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline batuki05

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 21, 2006, 18:25:54 pm »
I had my son's one year checkup. He had lost 2 oz of weight. He is such a picky eater. And now a day at each meal he hardly takes 2 bites.

My ped told me to add lots of butter. But when I check the lable butter has 100cal and canola oil has 120 cal. Why do people say to add lots of cheese and butter to kids. Is saturated fat good for health?
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Lan

Re: oil or butter?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 07:09:51 am »
Babies and toddlers do need fat in their diet for growth and development, especially of the brain and nervous system. Definately don't worry about calories at this age, especially if he is losing weight - he needs it! SO  ithink adding butter and cheese is a good idea - I would choose those over canola oil, because butter and cheese are good sources of vitamin A and D. As for saturated fat - some is needed for development as well. For instance, the fat in breastmilk is just under half saturated fat - and so is the fat in butter!

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: oil or butter?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:19:52 am »
Yep, definitely go for butter and cheese, high fat yoghurt and milk. Also, I add olive oil and coconut oil over other oils whenever I can as well.