Author Topic: Trying to add calories - not working  (Read 853 times)

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Trying to add calories - not working
« on: August 01, 2006, 12:55:22 pm »
DS is 4 months. He is on 3.5 hour easy moving to 4 but that is going slowly. I want to add calories during the day to reduce feedings at night - last night did 3 night feedings - 2 full feeds and 1 short one. The short one was me trying to shorten the feed so he would eat more during the day, unfortunately he woke up an hour and a half later at 5:30a and took a full feed. During the day I try to breastfeed longer but when he is done - he is done. He starts playing and just looking up smiling at me. He just bobs on and off when he is done. He only feeds about 10 minutes max and I still have lots of milk to give (only do one side). I try switching sides, I try moving to a dark room with no stimulation. I try breast compressions. I try burping. I change his diaper and give him a break and I try again. But when he is done - he is done! Unfortunately he can only go 3.5 hours between feeds and that is pushing it, he starts getting hungry around 3 hours and 15 minutes. At night I try to cluster feed to get in mroe calories. He ends up having a good feed at 5:30 but a lousy feed at 7:30 before bed. He only will take a few minutes at 7:30, he is just not hungry. I'm thinking about cutting out that feed altogether and doing a feed at 6 instead. I want to add calories but he just won't take it. I try feeding less at night but he only wakes more often if I don't give him a full feed at night. I don't know how else to add calories.

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
Re: Trying to add calories - not working
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 14:43:23 pm »
Have you tried the dreamfeed?

Also, if you do put the 5:30 & 7:30pm feeds into one this may help. and he may take more at the DF.
4 months is an awkward age as they do like to do other things like explore the world around them and can cut feeds short, their attention gets caught by the slightest thing.
Another thing.....as they get older they become more efficient eaters and take less time to feed.

Here is alink about DF.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65750.0

Good luck.
Rhian

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 15:21:42 pm »
I've tried the dream feed, i've tried at different times between 10-11, but either he doesn't suck OR he wakes and I have to spend a lot of time putting him back down. I also don't want to start something else that I have to wean eventually. I've had a hard time weaning the swaddle and i really don't wnt to start something else like that. Plus I like to go to bed early when he does and he is reluctant taking a bottle so my husband can't give it (plus my husband has a hard time being gentle and quiet). I don't know, i think i'm goin to try combinging the cluster feeds into one and hope that he takes a bigger feed. The reason why I feed at 5:30 is because that is when i get home from work, but usually he isn't due for a feed until 6p. I just want to feed as close to bedtime as possible so I thought 5:30 and 7:30 was good.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 15:56:12 pm »
Have you tried adding more fat to your own diet since you're nursing? There are lots of good fats you can add to your diet, like olive oil, butter, flaxseed oil, fish oil, and coconut oil. Eating eggs, assuming no allergies to them, also can add good fat to your diet. And believe it or not, since I added these to my diet consciously and make sure to get good quantities of them daily, I have LOST almost 30 pounds. :o

Another benefit is that these fats are just what your baby needs to grow and develop neurons and brain and eye tissue! :)

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 17:35:31 pm »
wow! i never even thought of adjusting my diet in order to add calories to him. I will try that!

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:59:21 am »
I eat lots of Carbs, drink plenty of milk and have flaxseeds regular.

I can understand you not wanting to start something else you have to wean. It is harder to DF BF babies ( as i found out).
Hope you find your solution.

Good luck.
Rhian