Author Topic: How do you drop the darn dream feed?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
How do you drop the darn dream feed?
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:57:16 am »
LO is 7 months old, 31 weeks. We're still doing a dream feed. He usually takes a full 8 oz, though last night it was only 4.5. I'm wondering if the smaller bottle was due to feeding at 10 rather than 10:30, so he wasn't as hungry?

Anyway, since he's still doing 5 bottles at 7 months, I figure it's time to drop that dream feed. He's typically getting 35-45 oz./day, usually right around 37. His first AM bottle is always his smallest. He's just not that hungry when he wakes up, which suggests to me that maybe the dream feed COULD go.

How do we do it? Gradually? I suspect this is in one of Tracy's books, but we're in the midst of moving house and looking it up isn't something I've got a lot of time to do!  :-[
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: How do you drop the darn dream feed?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:17:07 am »
Well, i weaned the DF by moving the time a bit earlier, so at first it was at 11pm, then i gave it to him for a week at 10:30pm, then at 10pm for another week, then 9:30pm another week, by this time he was only taking an oz, so i just stopped one night and he didn't wake up hungry till the next day at 7am, so that is what worked for us. I would suggest to do this, and if by the time you are giving it to him at 9:30 he is still taking a full feed, start by reducing in, let's say 3 day intervals, the amount of oz you are giving to him.

HTH

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:40:56 am »
We weaned several times....had to bring back overnight feeds cuz of travel, vacation, and general unrest with the routine.  But each time we weaned, I used the dilution/reduction method.  Offer less ounces to your LO in the bottle and dilute the amount.  So if it's normally an 8oz bottle with 4 scoops, offer an 8oz bottle with 3 scoops.  Then, I cut the amount, so you might offer 7 oz and instead of the normal 3.5 scoops use 2.5 scoops.  Then after a couple of nights, reduce or dilute again.  And again and again... Tracy says that your LO will shift those calories to the daytime and one night they just won't need them so they won't wake for them.  If they are still waking, offer water.  But this never worked for DD.  We got down to 4oz and 1/2 scoop and it was too diluted she wouldn't take it.  So, I kept the 4oz to 1 scoop ratio and then cut it to 2oz and 1/2 scoop but never used the 2oz. bottle. 

I think that Tracy recommends 3 days between each dilution/reduction, but I went by my LO.  If I could tell she was eating more of her breakfast bottle or more solids then I figured she'd adjusted those calories.  Sometimes we stayed at a level for several days, sometimes just 2.  Trust your instinct.  You'll know when to tweak it again.

One other thing I finally did was just cold turkey stop giving the DF.  DD didn't often wake for it, so we just waited for her to wake up and used the diluted/reduced bottle at that time.  And then we would extend the other overnight wakeups until DD just wouldn't settle without that bottle, showing that she was clearly hungry.  Don't know how this will work for you...I'm guessing you have 4 daytime bottles and the DF, so you might not want to go this route.  We had other night wakings...

And, my DD really started sleeping better once she got on solids and we started giving her protein, starcy carbs and yogurt.  She eats these at each meal and we also work fruits or veggies in and some finger foods as well.  We're going to ramp up our sippy cup efforts so it should be a full circus soon!  But that combo of protein, starch and yogurt at the core of every meal really seems to work well for my DD.  Depending on what your giving for solids and when, you might be able to "tank up" with dinner and the bedtime bottle and just cut the DF cold turkey without a hiccup!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 05:46:59 am »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

Here is the link to Tracys guide on stopping the dream feed and problems you may face on the way.
Lauren x