Author Topic: Maintaining supply while also feeding solids???  (Read 604 times)

Offline scotpiper

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Maintaining supply while also feeding solids???
« on: August 05, 2006, 00:58:21 am »
My daughter will be 6 months old next week. We have had quite the battle to continue breastfeeding since day 1. Latch problems, tongue tied, blocked milk ducts, plugged nipple pores....etc, etc. The blocked ducts were in 1 breast every time and I've never had much of a supply in that side since (I can pump 3 oz on 1 side and only 1.5 in the other when very engorged). FINALLY, around 3 months, things became normal. Now, she is taking some solid food. Some of it, she has to eat to take medication for reflux. I want to breastfeed until she's a year old. Until now, I've been feeding on demand(nearly every hour or 2 during the day and none at night) and am starting a 4 hour EASY. How do I maintain my somewhat fragile milk supply while only feeding every 4 hours during the day and none at night? I currently pump once at night.

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Maintaining supply while also feeding solids???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 02:28:13 am »
Your supply will adjust to the new schedule. Keep nursing every 4 hours and at night. When offering solids, make sure solids follow the nursing by an hour or so---your LO should fill up on milk first.
Jeni