Author Topic: Please help! 45 min naps  (Read 904 times)

Offline soji

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Please help! 45 min naps
« on: August 16, 2006, 19:17:14 pm »
My dd is just about 8 weeks old.  She sleeps great at night.  But her day naps are my problem right now.  She will go down fairly easily for her naps - I will put her down and she will independently go to sleep. Sometimes she needs a little shush/pat, but otherwise, she's able to go down by herself.  She sleeps soundly (quietly) for the first 45 minutes or so. Then she wakes up.  Usually, if I leave her alone, she will cry/fuss a little and then she will go back to sleep.  But she never really sleeps soundly.  She fusses the next 45 mintues to 1 hour (or until I can't stand it and go pick her up).  It's an absolute chore to try to calm her down for the last half of her nap.  I think some of the crying is mantra crying and I try to let it go b/c when i check her crib, her eyes are closed and then she's back to sleep.  It's not usually the "MOMMY I need you" crying.  But sometimes, she throws in a wail and it sounds like a mommy cry. I am so confused.  If i let her go for a few minutes, she will fall back asleep.  This cycles every 5-10 mintues.  I end up waiting at her door listening to her cries to see if i should go in or not.  I'm so confused.  She sounds like she's awake, and sometimes her eyes will pop open and then they flutter back to sleep.  Do i leave her? Do i just watch her? Do I shush/pat her and try to get her back into a deep sleep?  Sometimes shush/pat just wakes her up even more. 

I've sat down 3 times to write this email, b/c my LO is doing the cry/whimpering/wail combination and then she's quiet again.  It goes on like this every 5-10 minutes for the last part of her nap.  I'm at wit's end. 

She's been on EASY since she was 2wks old.  And sometimes she will sleep like a rock (usually at night) and other times she will do this short nap/cry/whimpering thing.  It's driving me crazy and I feel like I do not know what I'm doing.  Please HELP!

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Please help! 45 min naps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 22:56:48 pm »
It sounds like she's having trouble transitioning between sleep cycles. I'd say wake-to-sleep would be the way to go.

If you haven't got the book (or even if you have ;)), there's great info about it in our FAQs section, have you found it yet (at the top of the Naps forum)? Have a good read through, and we will be here to answer any of your questions.

Can I also just say WOW :o :o - she's a great night sleeper and goes to sleep independently at 8 weeks. Well done you, and well done her!
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline soji

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 14:03:01 pm »
THANK YOU!  I've re-read the FAQs section and it really put me back on track.  I've been working on the W2S and it's really helping.  It's not working all the time, but it's such an improvement already!  This sleep thing with babies is sure hard work!  But it's worth it.  At first I was really frustrated w/ shush/pat b/c I would stand above DD's crib for up to an hour trying to get her down and now she goes down so easily.  I think really setting up the routine has taught her to sleep on her own.  She knows what's coming next and she knows what to expect.  I know it's not perfect everyday, but hey, who's perfect?  She's sleeping so much better and waking up so much more content.

Thanks for your help!  (I'm sure it won't be the last time!) ;D

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 23:19:03 pm »
You sound positive, so fingers crossed for you :). Hope it all goes well, and if you have any more questions - you know where we are!
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston