Author Topic: Please...need help for naps  (Read 791 times)

Offline lmake

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 24, 2006, 17:18:12 pm »
My LO's (19 wks old) nights are fabulous - he goes down w/o a peep at 6:45p.m., wakes at 12:00a.m. and 5:00 a.m. for feedings.  I know BW says he should be going all night, but we're still okay w/the 2 feedings (if you knew how far we've come w/night time sleep, you'd understand...).  He goes back to sleep after 5am bottle, then I wake him up at 7:15 for the day if he's not up already.  Here is where we're really struggling:

He's had a really rough time since birth with sleep, and up until a week ago, I had to nap him wherever I could get him to sleep, usually on my bed.  His naps have always been clockwork at 30 minutes with no luck extending. 

I start soothing for first nap at first signs of tiredness (usually about 1.5hrs after wake time).  As his eyes get very heavy, I place him in crib.  At this point, he wakes fully and starts to get excited.  Pat/shush only excites him more.  I've tried controlled crying (I know, I know, but it actually worked beautifully for us for night sleep as our last resort).  Within minutes he's at a full scale scream.  Do I try PU/PD?  I'm at my wits end as I can't bear to see my baby so overtired during the day.  I know he can self-soothe, as he's doing it at night, but I understand days are harder for them. 

I would soooo appreciate anyone's advice/input/insights/suggestions.

Here is his schedule:

7:15 - wake
8:00 - eat 6 oz, then walk in stroller, play
9:15 - try to nap

11:30 - eat 6 oz, then walk in stroller, play
12:30 - try to nap
3:00 - eat 6 oz, then play
4:00 - sometimes a quick catnap, though not always
6:00 - eat 6 oz
6:15 - bath, then story
6:45pm- bed
12:00am- eat 6 oz, then back to sleep
5:00am - eat 6 oz, then back to sleep

Thank you all so much in advance...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Please...need help for naps
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 18:35:25 pm »
Couple of things in particular may help. At over 4 months, he likely needs a little more than 1.5 hours A time - probaby 1.75 hours. Also, you may be holding him too long and letting him get too sleepy in your arms - and then he notices his weight when he hits the crib and it jolts him. He'd likely do better with going into the crib drowsy but awake - not with eyes already heavy and about to close. Please don't try CC or CIO - Tracy really was opposed to those methods and thought they could make things worse and that there was always a gentler way - and we can help you find that way!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01