Author Topic: Help! 5 months and still waking for a feed!  (Read 862 times)

Offline xydickson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! 5 months and still waking for a feed!
« on: August 29, 2006, 07:58:09 am »
My little boy is 23 weeks and still waking for a feed. At about four months we made the transition from the breast to the bottle (although he was already having one feed a day of formula). Two weeks ago we started weaning him onto baby rice. We did this because he seemed to be going off his milk, only taking 5 or 6 oz at a feed (instead of his usual 8). He is currently taking 6 feeds a day (including the night feed somewhere between 4 and 5 am) and having 3 small meals a day. I would say he is taking a total of about 30 oz of formula a day. I have tried to up his intake of milk at each feed but he is not interested! What else can I do? I am so tired and fed up of having to go to bed at 9 every night to try and get more sleep!! ??? I can count the number of times he has gone through the night on one hand! :'(

Offline xydickson

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help! 5 months and still waking for a feed!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:48:57 pm »
Sorry, forgot to add the important bits!

NAPS- His first nap of the day is usually about 2 hours after he wakes and this can be anything from 30 mins to 1 hour. He will take a second nap between 12 and 2, again lasting between 45 mins and 2 hours. Finally, his third nap will be for about 45 mins sometime in the late afternoon. However, if he doesn't sleep for long at lunchtime he will have longer in the afternoon. I try not to let him sleep later than 5.30 in the evening so he will go down at 7 pm.

FEEDS- 7 am 5-6oz formula and baby rice
         11 am 5-6oz formula
        2-3 pm 5-6oz plus pureed veg
      5.30 pm 5-6oz plus pureed veg
     10.30 pm 8oz DF
       4-5 am 5-6oz

BEDTIME ROUTINE- 6.30 bath, then short massage, story, a little more milk (usually only 1-2oz), bed for 7 pm.

During DF he is very sleepy but always take more milk at this time (usually 8oz). His nappy is always changed though otherwise he wakes up damp. Usually awake for 30-45 mins. Goes back to sleep easily.

During night waking I first try to get him back to sleep with dummy, this usually gets him off again but if he hungry he will always wake again within 10-20 mins. I feed him when i put the dummy in and it doesn't send him off to sleep again. Although mostly it is a mantra cry, i am not guilty of picking him up too soon, but i don't let him cry for long before going in to give him his dummy. He needs no other comfort (unless he wants feeding) except that he usually needs reswaddling! He can't seem to fall asleep without his arms strapped to his sides! After a feed he goes back to sleep within about 20 mins (no nappy change), but sometimes can be a bit restless until waking between 6 and 6.30 am. He then seems quite sleepy until his first nap.

Hope this is all the info needed!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 15:43:16 pm »
Is he gassy at all?  Sometimes when they start solids it can affect their night sleep.

As far as his schedule goes I would go have thos bottles 4 hours apart and he may eat better so at  7, 11, 3, 7, and then your df.  If he wakes in the night I would limit him to 4 ounces and slowly make it smaller as you imcrease the amount during the day.

HTH

Offline xydickson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 16:00:43 pm »
Thank you, I will try and limit how much he has when he wakes.

I would'nt say he was gassy though, or at least not so that it is affecting his sleep, as he has pretty much always woke at some point in the night, it is just that for a while he was waking up and didn't seem to be hungry-now he def is hungry.

Xy