Author Topic: Starting solids at 5 mos. please help  (Read 1230 times)

Offline kelmford

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 30, 2006, 11:32:45 am »
I am starting to give my daughter a little rice cereal or oatmeal at night with her 6pm bottle.  I have her on a very consistent routine and would like to continue that.  At what times should I give her cereal/baby food and how should I do it.  Lots of help would be appreciated.  Here is her current routine:

6am- wake up 7-8 oz
8-10am- nap
10am- 7-8 oz
12-2pm- nap
2pm- 7-8 oz
4-4:30- nap
6pm- 7-8 oz
7pm- bed

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Starting solids at 5 mos. please help
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 22:51:41 pm »
I am starting to give my daughter a little rice cereal or oatmeal at night with her 6pm bottle. I have her on a very consistent routine and would like to continue that. At what times should I give her cereal/baby food and how should I do it.

Are you giving the cereal in her bottle?
What is the reason for starting solids at 5months?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline jasmynesmum

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Being a mummy is the best gift in the world.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 23:32:08 pm »
In England they encourage starting solids around 4 months so I do not think that you should worry about doing it too early.  You should make sure that you start with very little... just a few spoonfuls and stick to the same diet for 2-3 days to make sure that your LO does not have an allergic reaction.  I started my daughter on prunes at 8 weeks due to severe constipation and she took to it wonderfully (even ate off the spoon)...  she would have half a tub around 10am and half a tub around 2pm.  At 4 months I introduced other fruits and sweet potatoes.  Fruit in AM after breakfast feed and sweet potatoe around 5pm...  This again worked really well for her.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline tealy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:39:48 am »
I live in England and every health and childcare professional I've come into contact with encourages mothers to wait until 6 months to start solids, so I'm not sure that starting at 4 months is the norm. They do, however, say that starting them a bit early if you really think they are ready is okay, as long as you do it slowly and are not doing it for the wrong reasons (wanting them to sleep through the night).

Offline jasmynesmum

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Being a mummy is the best gift in the world.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 11:36:58 am »
Oh OK.. I stand corrected...  its just that all the recipe books that my sister sent me from over there have them starting at 4 months so I thought this was the norm!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 11:48:04 am »
6 months is the recomendation world wide at this time. The books say 4 months (as do amarican and Canadian) because the research is new. While I would highly recomend waiting untill 6 months myself I do understand there are reasons to start early. I also understand that you have your reasons. Just make sure you talk to your childs doctor for recomendations and make sure you get as much information as you can get.

If you feel starting solids is needed then start with an AM feed not a PM feed and make sure its not in the bottle.

Solids wont help your LO sleep through the night it will more then likly make it worse as it can cause a lot of gas, constipation, and general discomfort. Starting in the morning gives you 2 advantages, it gives you the entire day to see if there is an allergic reaction, and it gets most of the gas out during the day. Stick with starting all new foods in the morning for these reasons. Also watch your LO for gas and constipation, if they are persistent or your LO is in pain stop giving solids and try again in 1-2 weeks.

Putting solids into the bottle increases the chance of your LO chocking. It is not recomended you add cereal to a bottle for this reason.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 16:54:32 pm »
Obviously, other concerns have already been addressed. To answer your question about WHEN, time-wise, to offer solids... it really depends on what works best for you and your LO. You may have to experiment with timing for a while, as you probably did with nap & activity lengths, etc.

Some parents offer solids with a bottle feeding - they'll feed about half the bottle, then do solids, then the rest of the bottle. That's fine, if you don't notice a drop in milk intake and your LO will let you stop halfway through a bottle. (Our DS won't even let us burp him, halfway through a bottle! LOL)

Some parents offer solids about an hour after the bottle. If your LO shows an interest in eating that soon after a bottle, that would probably work well. (Our darling, spirited LO is never hungry at this time.) You'll know your LO doesn't have enough appetite to eat at that time, if she is too distracted to eat.

We started solids at 4 mo, with our ped's blessing. Our DS was almost 17 lbs (gained 10 lbs since birth), eating well & showing an interest in our foods. It's frequently recommended to add a morning feeding first. That way, when you start a new food, if there's an allergic reaction, it'll be during the day (instead of keeping you up at night). We started with a mid-morning solids feed (our DS isn't as hungry in the a.m.) and, once we'd done that for a while, we added a dinnertime solids feed (so Dad could feed him after work). We always give new foods at the earliest solids feeding, and once he's had the new food for 2-3 days, we start rotating it into any of the solids feeds.

What's worked best for us is feeding solids about an hour before milk - but that obviously wouldn't fit with your routine. You might try offering solids about 7:30am or 11:30am, and see how that goes. Also check out the solids FAQ: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=94.0

What questions did you have about "how" to do it?

- LisaW

- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US