Author Topic: Making Oatmeal  (Read 952 times)

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
Making Oatmeal
« on: August 31, 2006, 20:43:13 pm »
I know this is going to sound silly to most of you but .... how do you make oatmeal?
We don't eat it in this country although it's available in grocery stores. We just found out dd is allergic to wheat and I thought this could be something good for her breakfast. I bought a package and follwed the instructions but somehow it didn't turn out the way I remember it from when I lived in the US (of course that was a long time ago...). I mixed 1 cup oat flakes with 2 cups water and heated it up. It started to make a paste and I stirred it for a few minutes, then took it out. The instructions said to add milk until desired consistency was obtained (???) and sweeten with sugar or honey. I didn't add milk, and added a cup of applesauce with apple bits. It wasn't bad but dd didn't like it. I have to add that the paste didn't have a smooth consistency, I felt the individual flakes as little sort-of-crunchy balls.
I have been told on another forum to use a crockpot but we don't have one.

TIA!!!!
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
Re: Making Oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 22:10:19 pm »
I don't know what you mean by oat flakes...   ???  Like potato flakes that should be made completely creamy with water?

Anyway, what I do is to buy the quick-cooking oats ("Cooks in 1 minute!" according to the box ::)).  If I'm just doing oatmeal, I do a ratio of 2 parts oats to 3 parts milk (e.g. 1/2 cup oats to 3/4 cup milk).  Stir.  Microwave for 90 seconds (for the 1/2 cup oats size).  Sweeten.  Eat.   ;D  I use milk because it seems to make a creamier consistency than water. 

If I'm adding applesauce for ds, the ratio is more like 1:2:1 (oats:milk:applesauce), although I've never officially measured it.  I don't make as much at a time for him, so the microwave time is less. 

I've never cooked it on top of the stove :-[, so if you don't have a microwave, this doesn't help you at all.  Sorry...  I really do hope something in that helps some...
Candice

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 01:04:51 am »
If you're using the regular rolled oats (we usually use the old fashioned kind, not quick - they only take a few minutes longer), I think the measurement is one part oats to two parts water.  I usually just guess and add more water if necessary, or cook for longer if its too watery.

Put oats, water and a small pinch of salt in a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes (I usually cook for much longer than this (sometimes up to 45minutes or so if there's enough water).  Then you can remove from heat and add honey, brown sugar, raisins, nuts or anything else that suites you.  I also like to pour cold milk over the oats and then eat them - yummy :)

If you think it's too creamy, you can bring the water to a boil first and then add the oats and cook.

Good luck!

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 21:49:14 pm »
I usually boil the water first, then add the oats.  But I use the same ratio-- 1 part oats to two parts water.

If you want a really creamy consistency, just whirl the oats in your blender or food processor until tyou get a powder, then cook them.  That will make it very creamy.  You may need to add a bit more water for a more baby-friendly (i.e., runnier) consistency.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09