Author Topic: Kotletti  (Read 2290 times)

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 97
  • My gorgeous little Aiden!
    • Facebook
Kotletti
« on: September 01, 2006, 19:03:50 pm »
As i am half Polish a lot of what my ds's eat is of Polish origin and i recently made this for my kiddies and they loved it, its very similar to meatloaf. I thought i'd post it for anyone who wants to vary their LOs meals, or even for someone who has a dh they'd like to impress... its yummy!

to make 8 (we need 16 for our family of 4 so just double the quantities if needed)

500g pork mince
1 small onion finely chopped
1 egg
2 slices of bread (blended into breadcrumbs)
dash of salt

Put the mince, onion, egg, salt and breadcumbs into a large bowl, stir well and then use your hands to almost kneed it all together. Shape into small 'burgers'.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan and put in the kotletti, slowly cook for 20-25mins depending on thickness and keep turning them over.

I serve this with usually mash potato or boiled potato and some vegetables (usually carrots and broccoli) and gravy. But you could also have it with salad or baked beans etc....

This is the same recipe as i use for meatloaf, except before the burger part i just put the whole mixture into a glass bowl and put it in a pre-heated oven at 190degrees for around 50minutes, you can also put mixed herbs on the top to give it a crispy texture (i do this with my section and leave dp's and kids' plain)

Katy xxx
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 15:58:10 pm by xxkaty19xx »

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Facebook
Re: Kotletti
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 15:38:05 pm »
the koteltti doesnt have any drippings as its fried instead of baked like meatloaf but i use bought gravy... when im making a roast dinner i usually use the drippings from the meat and a bit of extra bought gravy just for a bit of extra oomph.... i suggest you try bought gravy its very nice! My favourite to have with it is chicken as i'm not a fan of the beef gravy :)

Katy xxx

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 15:44:50 pm »
Well my favourite is mmmmmmmmmmm bisto, but it depends where in the world you are and what you can get. I would suggest granules because cubes are a lot thinner and look like water and i like my gravy a bit thicker. But definately chicken flavour! They come in tubs usually probably near the salt and herbs in your supermarket.... Hope you like it otherwise no-ones going to take my advice ever again lol

Katy xxx

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 15:55:53 pm »
Well i am sure you'll like it... let me know how you get on with it :)

Katy xxx

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 16:05:56 pm »
That sounds just like my mum and granny! I guess its why i'm getting like it too.... the best polish food i have ever been made was pronounced like 'peroguis' dunno how its spelt though. Its like a cheese and onion pasty but made with noodle pastry instead, they are gorgeous! My dad has the family recipe for them so if you fancy trying them let me know and i will pm you the recipe for them (family secret so you have to keep it shhhhhhhh lol)

Katy xxx

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 16:33:53 pm »
yep thats the ones. we boil them in oil then fry them. my dad is out getting drunk tonight so i will get it off him tomorrow morning and message you it at some point tomorrow. Its nice to talk to someone who doesnt think im mad for talking about all these foods :)

Katy xxx

Offline MrsKirky

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • Aidan dressed as a Sheriff for Halloween
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 20:27:08 pm »
I would love your recipe for pierogi's (yes, that's the correct spelling).  I usually buy the frozen ones, which husband and MIL love, but I know my grandmother and great-aunts recipe is different from these.  MIL makes the frozen ones with carmelized onions (sliced onions cooked really slow and low heat until browned) and topped with sour cream.  My family always makes an Americanized version of pierogi's at Christmas with a potato and sauerkraut filling...sounds awful, but it is really good.  My grandmother also filled them with dates or almond paste.  We are trying to add some of the polish heritage recipes to our repetoire.  I appreciate and will try your other recipe!

Krista (MrsKirky)
(Krista) Aidan-2/9/2005. Touchy.Gravida 5 Para 1 and proud of the LO for hanging on tight!