Author Topic: Allergic to everything during eczema flare-up?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
Allergic to everything during eczema flare-up?
« on: September 02, 2006, 18:56:02 pm »
My wee sister at the moment flares up after everything she ate. A lot of these things she was always fine with... Did that happen to anyone???

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Allergic to everything during eczema flare-up?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:14:20 am »
Was she recently sick? Lowered immune system can do that. Does she take probiotics?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 01:18:53 am »
Further questions: did she break out after eating stuff, or touching it?  Different brands?  Other stresses?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 09:00:23 am »
She flares up after eating and touching (the side of her lips flare up, so do her hands sometimes after eating). We tried her on probiotics a few months ago and she had the worst flare-up ever. I think she doesn't respond well to the cultures  :-\...

Well, she shouldn't be stressed atm, she is at home, off school for a week now and gets spoilt all the time... She didn't have a cold for a while and I don't think there is one coming. She drank Scotty's juice last week (summer fuits rasberry, strawberry and blackcurrant) and flared up terribly. Her face was bright red and itchy, her arms and her neck was bleeding and raw and sore  :'(

She stopped all acidy drinks, never uses bubble baths or perfume or even soap, doesn't eat artificial stuff and so on. But now she seems to react to everything and I hope that will go away

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 13:02:56 pm »
The fact that she did so badly on probiotics makes me wonder if she has a intestinal candida issue/yeast overgrowth. In which case, she actually NEEDS the probiotics - but they will make things worse before better as the yeast "die off." She should also avoid or at least severely limit sugar, alcohol and vinegar for at least 3 months during this as those foods encourage yeast overgrowth. I can recommend some good books if you are interested. Was she on antibiotics a lot in the past?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shdef

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 17:33:09 pm »
I would love some good books on eczema, thank you :)

she has never been on antibiotics. She is off sugar just now anyway, is allergic to vinegar and doesn't have it at the moment either. She drinks no alcohol either, hates the taste. To sum up, she is on a very bland diet with no sweets (she adores sweets as all wee girls do  :'( ) no spices, no sugar, vinegar or acids (she is allergic to all fruit at the moment apart from banana). She had probiotics and had to stay off school a few weeks ago (probiotics was her mums idea as well). She started getting raw, bleeding on her hands, esp. the knuckles, her arms, shoulders, eyelids and cheeks. I don't think she can do that again, it was terrible. She seems to respond well to olive oil but it always flares up again. I am at my wits end, so is everybody. They are now thinking about homeschooling, cause she can't leave the house. She has been in pyjamas for a week, hasn't went out the house... Do you know any other foods that are allergens?

Can dairy trigger eczema? Potatos? Wheat? I haven't a clue

Thanks,

Steffi

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 15:54:41 pm »
Although not a solution to the food issue, I found that Florasone cream works really well on eczema. It is homeopathic and kind of expensive, but is the only thing that I found that works and my cousin had the same experience with all 3 of her children. Takes about 2-3 days to see results, but it is fantastic!
~Keri~

Offline ashtonsmummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • mom to Ashton born Oct 24 2005 Burnaby BC
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:34:23 am »
hi everyone, sorry i did not take the time to read all of your messages, but exzema is in almost all cases due to foods or something that is making our skin iritated so in lamens terms it thinks it has to fight against each other and therefore basically just brakes itself down. now if you take those away it goes away and zincs are the best things to heal it not steroids. my little one has exzema so bad he was basically raw so i had to do alot of research, thankfully now he is pretty much itch free and his skin is as smooth as anyone elses. i took all suspect foods away and was down to a very minimal diet of just fruits then veggies and meat. we discovered milk protiens, any type of grain except rice, and refined sugars. i also stayed away from steroids and feed him foods high in zinc as well as apply zinc creams to his problem areas and he is a very happy boy. as well as stay away from baths min 2 a week and then you must heavily cream not lotion their bodies. hope this info can help some one

Offline Shdef

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 12:22:10 pm »
I will try zinc cream on her during christmas time... I am in Germany and she is in Scotland but I nwill suggest that... We tried sudocrem, it has zinc in it but also citric acid so she flared up... do you recommend any brands?