Author Topic: So many issues- how do I fix?  (Read 869 times)

Offline Trentsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 09, 2006, 19:18:35 pm »
Hi, my 11 mo. ds has had so many issues the past few weeks.  Now he is waking up three times a night, and doesn't seem to want to sleep without a bottle.  When I try going in but not feeding him, he'll just wake back up a little while later.   I am going crazy!  He started walking at 10 mo., a few days later my husband and I went back to work (teachers),  then he had a massive growth spurt, followed by a bout of teething!(Although I can't see the new tooth yet!)  He did not sleep through the night til almost 7 mo., so needless to say, I haven't gotten much sleep this past year!  To make it worse, my mom (she watches him) started giving his bottle at naptime!!  Now he associates the two and won't take his bottle because he thinks you want him to go to sleep...so he gets it at naptime because that's the only time he'll take it!  Help!

Here is his schedule, roughly.

5 am. wake up and bottle (if he'll take it.)
6:00 breakfast
8 am nap ( 35-1 hour.)
snack when we wakes up
11:00 lunch
12:00 nap (45-75 min.)
snack when wakes and a couple oz in sippy cup
4:00 dinner cereal to try and hold him.
5:30 bath etc.
6:00 bottle and bed

I know he has an early bedtime and waketime.  I tried to change it this summer and never had had any success!

Should I try p.d. during the night or the walk/in walk/out I read a little about.  It is so hard to make changes in the middle of the night when you're so overtired.  When he got teeth at 9 mo., he seemed revert to sleeping through after about 10 days, but this time it's not happening!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: So many issues- how do I fix?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 19:12:16 pm »
Does he have anything developmental going on? Is he near walking?

It does sound like the bottle might be an issue. You really should explain to your mother the problem it's created and the suck-to-sleep association. I have a similar problem with my mom who watches my DS two days a week so I know how frustrating it is and how hard it is to correct mom's habits/behavior. But it needs to happen - I mean, we're the ones who have to deal with the resulting problem, not her. And I know I wouldn't leave DS in care of someone or a daycare that didn't follow my wishes, so I expect the same from anyone else even my mom.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Trentsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:21:20 am »
He started walking about 4 weeks ago- everything just hit at once.  I know what you mean about the mom thing.  I am so appreciative of her, but, at the same time, it really irked me that she changed that w/out even asking me!  (Which I told her; she didn't say anything becuz she knew I was right!)  I'm like, that was one of the few things he had going for him in the sleep department, and now he's going to be stuck on the bottle at 11 mo., great!  Anyway, I think he is just on and off with getting this tooth, so I may just have to wait til it finally pops through before trying to resolve it.

Thanks!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: So many issues- how do I fix?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 16:16:21 pm »
If it makes you feel any better my DS is teething and having some sep. anx., so nights haven't been real fun in my house!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o