Author Topic: solids and night wakings - connected?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline erinsmum36

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 10, 2006, 21:40:06 pm »
hi - my lo is 29 weeks (at what point do we go by acual months??) and has been on solids since 24 weeks. I dont know if it is the solids or something else that is suddenly making her wake up - WIDE AWAKE - around midnight! Last night it took 2 months to get her back o sleep. This has been going on for a week. Only other change in this period is more srtuctured solids.Most days she has the following routine:

7:30 wake up and milk
8:30 - 9 banana porridge
9 or 9:30 - sleep ( the earlier time if she is rubbing her eyes and looking tired)
10:30 or 11 - awake
11:30 half milk feed
12:00 lunch - chicken and vegee puree, yoghurt, water
1:00 or 1:30 sleep for 2 hours
3 or 3:30 milk
5 or 5:30 portion of rice pudding with fruit or similar
6:15 bath
6:45 milk
7:15 bed
never had a df

recently she has been falling asleep on the last feed and although i kn0w this is a problem i have let her as we have been having bedtime phobia for about 1.5 months now and we are both exhausted. she goes down ok and i stay with her for about 10 mins then leave. she is fine b ut then wakes and just wants to play. I know that BW says solids should just be a taste and so I wondered if I am giving too much but on the ohter hand my health visitor and other books suggest she shoulbe on 3 meals a day by 7 months.
Is it likely that the solids are waking her at midnight or do you think its something else?

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: solids and night wakings - connected?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 22:21:17 pm »
I don't think it is a solid issue i think this could be a nap issue. First of all i just wanted to say that if you and your baby are happy at this stage with just 2 meals then that is fine. Introduce a 3rd when you are both ready.4 hr awake time at 7months is quiet long i believe. At this age my Dd longest awake time was 3.5hrs and sometimes she struggled with that.Has this always been the case?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline erinsmum36

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 20:42:17 pm »
hi - no we used to have the catnap that would be overer by 5:30 but now that she sleeps for 2 hours between 1:30 and 3:30 there isnt enough time to have one without it being really close to bedtime and i dont really want to push that out. if i go somewhere in the car she might have a little nap but not always and not seeming to be overtired until after the bath - then there is a lot of eye rubbing etc. will look at her routine again and maybe tweak the naps

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 22:09:11 pm »
I am going to move this to the night waking board so you can get some help their in regards to night waking.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 22:19:51 pm »
I agree that your issue seems to be naps. Good day sleep = good night sleep, so it's important to make sure that A time is just the right length and naps are accordingly a good length but not too long either. It's a delicate balance!

I would suggest moving the first nap to around 10am and consequently moving the second forward to about 2 or 2:30.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o