Author Topic: yelling during the night  (Read 751 times)

Offline twinsmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mommy, Ethan and Lucas
« on: September 11, 2006, 22:56:47 pm »
Hi,

Over the past week, my lo has taken to crying or yelling at least twice during the night.  The first time is an hour or two after he goes to sleep, and the second time can be anytime after his 10:30 pm dreamfeed.  Sometimes it has happened a third time.  When I go to him, I try his paci and shhh/pat, but he wakes up wide-eyed immediately and cries if I continue trying to soothe him to sleep or if I leave.  Because he shares his room with his twin brother, we have been forced to take him out of his crib and put him in a playpen in our room to work out this problem.  This is not fun...any suggestions?

How old is your child? 6 mo
What’s his/her daily routine? wakes at 6:30am-ish 4 hour EASY with 5-7 oz at 7, 11, 3, 7 and a 10:30 df.  Just started rice cereal in the mornings.
What’s nap routine? he's been a HORRIBLE napper until I gave up and let him nap in his swing - now he gets 1.5 hrs at 8:30 and 12:30, with a catnap at 4:30...we were going to ween him off of the swing at 6 months, but the nightwakings started, so I don't want to mess with his naps quite yet
How long are naps? see above
What's bedtime routine? Time? bath, bottle, rocking and singing and down at 7:30
Do you bottle or breastfed??bottle
How much? or how long? see above
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? 2-3
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? he yells out, and continues yelling - sometimes getting himself back to sleep and sometimes it turns into a cry - can't let hiim go on too long, as he wakes his twin
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?either fussing/yelling or crying
What have you tried to settle?? paci, patting back, rocking
What do you do for A time and how long is it?usually 2.5 hours - we play on the playmat, exersaucer, junmper, sitting, tummy time with toys
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? its possible, there have been no teeth yet, and recently he's been pushing up on his hands while on his tummy.  He also discovered how to scream very high and very loudly, and practices it all day  ::)
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)yes, for the last 2 weeks - 1 tblsp in the morning, but he never eats more than a couple of spoonfuls
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? paci
Do they have a lovie?no

Thank you SO MUCH for your time and trouble in responding!

Jessica
Jessica
Ethan (Textbook) and Lucas (Spirited), 3-3-06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: yelling during the night
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 22:24:29 pm »
Hi Jessica, what a lovely name you have  ;)

I assume you are posting about your spirited twin, eh? Sleep is much more challenging with the spirited, believe me I know!  ::)  I think that your wakings are developmental. Sounds like he recently found the volume on his voice, so he's got to practice that every chance he gets. Plus the pushing up on his hands is the beginning of mobility developments too, which most always affect sleep. The best way to combat the developmental wakings is to make sure that LO gets as much time to practice during the day as they want. If they want to do nothing else, go with it. It will help the master the skill faster and get the urge out of their system.

I assume that the yelling is just yelling, and not pain? I would suspect maybe teething too, but if it's just talking-yelling that's different.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o