Author Topic: Recommendations for walkers  (Read 1590 times)

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Recommendations for walkers
« on: September 13, 2006, 16:03:43 pm »
I know walkers aren't highly recommend for several reasons.  However, my LO is out growing his exersaucer and I'm still debating whether to get a walker or not.  Some of the walkers I've seen have a higher weight/height limit and some have brakes so I could treat the walker and an exersaucer for an older LO.  For those who do have a walker, what brand of walker to you recommend ?

Thanks,
Mel

PS:  I live in the US, so please let me know where you got you're walker

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
Re: Recommendations for walkers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 17:48:12 pm »
We had one but he just sat in it,once he started crawling that was the end of it.

We now have once that he walks bedhind and pushes around and he loves it...

I wanted the walker for him to sit up in and he very rarely moved around it,if anything it was his sister who moved him from room to room in it for games...

Andrea...

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 17:51:35 pm »
We loved our walker!!! ;D

Actually, I don't worry as much about a brand - but it would be great help if you could take your lo with you when picking one out.  Also, check out 2nd hand shops or used baby item shops.  These are generally only used for a few months, so you can get great walkers 2nd hand for next to nothing!!

Back to the poitn - the reason I say take your lo with you is that we had a total of 3 walkers, and one of them had to have been made for a freakishly tall child!! :o :o  My kid has always been off the charts big, and he could barely touch the floor to move!!  AND - here's the best part - it didn't adjust!!! :o :o :o

So make sure it fits, and/or adjusts and fits your lo, that they're comfortable, and it is as sturdy as can be...then go for it!!!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 19:08:11 pm »
DS used the walker and he was walking at 9 months, so I think that it's a myth that it hinders walking, I think that it only does this if they are left there a lot.  As long as they have enough encouragement to go about on thier own on the floor, then I don't see why a walker can't be used as part of their activity time, the activities around the top are quite stimulating.

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 19:10:06 pm »
we used our a lot, altho  now that hes beginning to walk he isnt into it that much.
We have bèbè confort (dont know if u get that in US)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 00:17:10 am »
The safety issue with walkers is that kids apparently had fallen down the stairs b/c the door frame was wider than the walker, so gate off your stairs if you do get one. 

Do you have a jumper?  We had a Fisher Price one that we got pretty cheaply that DD loved to bounce around in when she was outgrowing her exersaucer. 

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 00:29:17 am »
We got this one at Babies R Us
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373425&cp=2255975.2256079.2256083&parentPage=family
We only used it for a few months as once dd started walking (11 months) she wanted nothing to do with it.  Looking in her 1st year calendar, we got it at 8 months, it took her a few weeks to learn to go forward.  At first she didn't like it, then she could go backwards, then forward.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007