Author Topic: 1st overnight trip any advice?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
1st overnight trip any advice?
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:03:21 am »
we are thinking about going away this weekend, does anyone have any advice? I am prepared for a sleeping disaster, but we need to do this or we will be home bound until Gage is 18! Gage has NEVER slept anywhere but at home. He has slept in the car 3 times, 2 times in the stroller, and never in our bed. These are good and bad things IKWIM. We plan on staying in a hotel, but I have no idea how to work the sleeping arrangements. Any advice?

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
Re: 1st overnight trip any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 11:35:10 am »
Ask for a cot,most motels have them.

I would just keep your day as normal,except Ds might have to sleep in the pram as you don't want to be motel bound.

I have travelled since both were 6 weeks old and they just adapt fine.you might find when you are away he might not sleep much but then catch up when you come home.

I would just take the days as it comes and enjoy your trip away...

Andrea...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 17:47:36 pm »
Be flexible!  One weekend of changing around his schedule won't undo everything that you've worked on with him so far.  When traveling with our DD we have had days with no naps, naps only in the car/stroller, and plenty of nights where she's slept with us.  We always try to keep things as normal as possible (regular bedtime routine, familiar toys, etc), but it doesn't always work so well.  It's hard to keep LOs occupied in hotel rooms too -- lots of dangerous new things to explore! 

Having said that, we've always had such a great time going away it's worth any little hassles that might occur.  Have fun!

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 01:19:51 am »
We've travelled with lo since she was 3 months, with lots of stays at grandparents, renting a cottage, and even at friends' houses if we were there late some nights.  We bring the playard and she has always slept fine in there. If you have one I would suggest bringing it and your own sheets and blankets. Set it up the way you have it at home. Gage will recognize the smell of things and it won't feel as strange to him. I always found dd adapted no problem.  Sometimes the first night in a new place is a little off but she gets right back on track.  Try to keep to your routine as much as you can for familiarity but don't panic if things are a little of for one weekend.  And...have a great time!

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:20:21 am »
We take things with familiar smells, as well as Theron's stuffed toys, blankie, and his various noise machines (fan and white noise machine). It's a bit of a palaver getting everything loaded up, but it's well worth it to make him feel more comfortable. The first trip was difficult as he wouldn't nap and fell asleep an hour past bedtime (just as we'd arrived  :o) so we had to wake him up and resettle him, which took two hours!!  :o However, not to daunt you, the next day I tried to stick to our routine as much as possible, and I was rewarded with two long naps! Indeed, the second time we travelled, we pooped DS out so much that he napped really well, and we ended up bumping bedtime fully up till 7pm. It hasn't been there for a while!

Good luck! Come let us know how you are on Sept/Oct Mommies if you get a chance.

Katy

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 03:13:31 am »
Hi Alice,

Do you have a portable cot? If so perhaps take that with you and to get him use to it have him sleep in it at home a week or 2 before you go away to get him use to it.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 03:30:53 am »
Thanks everyone for your advice. We were going to leave today, but had to cancel. Anyway, since we have more time I think I will try to get him to sleep in his pack n play for a couple of naps. However that in itself is a real brave idea. I hope I (rather than him ::) can handle it.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 06:08:15 am »
Alice we did it today put Catherine in her portable cot for her nap as we need her to get use to sleeping in it soon. I was very nervous but DH was home for support and she settled quickly in it and slept for 1.5hrs ;D

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07