Author Topic: babysitter advice  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
babysitter advice
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:13:54 am »
We are soooooo blessed that I can be a stay at home mom, but as a result Gage has been sheltered.  :-[ Gage has never had a babysitter (not an auntie, grandma, only dad) until last week. I took him to a MOMS meeting, and he was in the daycare. I sat with him for 10-15 min and he went off playing by himself and ignored me. So I gave him a kiss and told him I would be back in a little while. Every 5-10 min I would peek around the corner and he was fine.... for about 20 min and then he was upset. The daycare workers tried distraction, but he wasnt buying it. Finally, I had to come in and comfort him. I tried to leave again and Gage was not having it! I tried to stay a bit and leave again. No way was that happening, so we left. 

He has never shown symptoms of separation anxiety until this day. I want to keep trying this with the church nursery. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need a break!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: babysitter advice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 06:12:39 am »
i woudl say that he has not shown signs of sep anx previously because you have always been there - this is something new. it will take some adjustment - anywhere from a few days to weeks. i would just be patient and continue the visits allowing for early departures or reassuring times when needed. let him bring a lovie or special toy if necessary (not something that will be easily lost) and explain what is happening each time (show him where you will be - in the same building helps loads) so he learns to trust that you WILL come back for him as promised. give it time before you think of pulling out - there is an adjustment period to ANY change and this will most likely work itself out and be good for both of you in the long run. good luck
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 17:44:53 pm »
You might want to stay away for shorter periods of time at first and lengthen the amount of time that you're gone a little at a time so he's more comfortable.  It will take some time for him to get used to you being gone.  Also, make sure you say good bye to him and don't sneak out.  I find with my DD that if I try to get her engaged with the other kids or with a toy then it's easier for me to leave. 

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 19:22:29 pm »
Thanks ladies, I wil give your suggestions a go.

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:22:10 am »
Good luck, Alice! We're in a bit of the same boat with Theron; just trying to get him out into the real world to meet other kids. Of course, all he wants to do is put his fingers in their eyes, mouths, and up their noses  :-[ ::)