Author Topic: How to increase ounces when going from 3 to 4 hr EASY?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline natasgirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
How to increase ounces when going from 3 to 4 hr EASY?
« on: September 21, 2006, 15:13:20 pm »

Hi, my DD is 17 weeks old. She is starting to be able to stay awake longer, and I would like to make the transition to a 4 hr EASY. She is taking five 6oz bottles then a 4-5oz bottle at DF. So about 34oz a day. She generally finishes all her bottles, except lately she seems to want to play with them more than eat. SHe has reflux and is a spitter anyway, but seems to have gotten worse just recently ( she takes Zantac). I have read that spitting-up peaks around 4-6 months. How do I increase her oz per bottle while dropping one. It was easier when her bottles were smaller and she dropped a night feed. She sleeps straight through the night without a feed. How did you do it? I gave her a 7oz bottle yesterday morning and she handled it fine. Could I get some examples of what you did that worked for your LO?

Thank you, Natalie

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: How to increase ounces when going from 3 to 4 hr EASY?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 19:41:08 pm »
If you are looking to switch to the 4 hour easy, you could try adding an extra oz or 2 to each bottle, this will enable her to take more in her feeds and also help her go longer between feeds.

When we switched to the 4 hour easy, our DS took 4 x 8oz bottles per day.

Good luck and let usknow how you get on.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 20:06:56 pm »
You may actually find that when changing to a 4hr EASy that your LO naturally takes more, because they are hungrier than what they would have been after only 3hrs.

They may not have been completely hungry at the 3 hr mark.
Lauren x

Offline natasgirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 19:13:19 pm »

Today is day #4 of 4hr EASY. I increased her to 7oz bottles and she is doing great. I just decided to put her on a  4hr routine and see how it went. She was totally ready and did not resist at all. She is napping better and going down easier. I thought it might be a difficult transition for her, but she has handled it well. She is staying up for 1.75-2hrs at a time and taking 1.5-2hr naps. I need to find more ways to occupy her now. I am really happy that she is doing so well. She still plays with her bottles and takes a while to eat, but I think it is a developmental thing as she is so alert and wanting to play.

Thanks,
Natalie

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 19:16:59 pm »
That is fantastic news Natalie  ;D

If you find that she is starting to play about more with the teat than drinking, or starts fussing at the bottle, it may be time to increase teh size in the teat.

Keeps us posted.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 12:59:13 pm »
Great news - well done!
Lauren x