Author Topic: waking up 4-5 times a night at 4 months  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Gina.

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 23, 2006, 16:31:36 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladies,
I posted this in the reflux board as well.
Please help me out, I am ready to kill myself!
My 4 month old (4 months and 1 week to be exact) was sleeping 8 hours a night at 8 weeks, but now (and for the past 4 weeks) has been waking up at night a lot! He was on Zantac, now on Prevacid, and the medication seems to be working - de does not scream in pain or arch his back when he eats anymore. My son has silent reflux, and swallows everything that comes back.

He has been on EASY since he was 2 months old, and is now on a 4 hr. EASY. During the day he eats every 4 hours, and his schedules is (normally ) 7:30/11:30/3:30/7:30, with 2-hr naps at 9:13 and 1:15 (ish), and 45 min nap in the afternoon. He wakes up after 45 min in the 2 hr nap, but if I pat.shus he goes back to sleep. Angel during the day, right?

The nights though are a nightmare! Last night he woke up at 11, 2, and 5:30, he eats (sometimes very little - 2oz.) sometimes 4 oz. (that's he max he eats at a feed). He is breastfed, BTW. Then, it takes him 1 hr or more to go back to sleep and he cries a lot. PU/PD does not work for him at all, as he gets very agitated, but shus/pat does, so we use that. Also, the dream feed made him wake up every two hours so we stopped that - we feed him when he wakes up and asks for it.

The Ped recomended cereal (rice) in the bottle, and we tried that the past 2 nights, no difference, just a lot more gas.

I am desperate, I get very little sleep, and have to work the next day - DH stays with him during the day.
I am ready to just try ANYTHING!
I can go on formula, I just don'y want to give up breastfeeding yet, but I will if it will help.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 23:30:32 pm by Gina. »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline calebs mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
Re: waking up 4-5 times a night at 4 monts
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 19:49:30 pm »
Have you tried doing a dream feed at 10:30 to see if that will cut out the night feeds?  I would cut out the rice in the bottle.  It won't help him sleep longer and if it is causing him gas, then it might make him wake up more. 
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008

Offline Gina.

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: waking up 4-5 times a night at 4 months
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 23:31:40 pm »
Yes, we tried the dream feed, and he just started waking up every 2-3 hours...
I will give up cereal at least for now, we'll see what happens later.
Thank you,
Gina

Offline rinajack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 23:36:16 pm »
How long have you been on 4 hour EASY?  If he only eats a small amount at at time due to his reflux, maybe you need to feed him more often than that in the day.

Perhaps a 3.5 hr EASY would work.  Also, if the Dream Feed doesn't suit you, what about cluster feeding in the evening before bed?
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Gina.

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 22:51:53 pm »
I will try cluster feeding tonight, and we'll see how it goes.
Thank you!