Author Topic: Dog Saliva  (Read 1697 times)

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Dog Saliva
« on: September 24, 2006, 23:29:37 pm »
Gross...yes. :-X

My dog has occasionally sneaked in an licked my dd on her arm or leg (even to my disgust...her head).  After my dog has done this, dd get large red spots w/ a raised white welp in the middle.

Have any of you ever experienced this? DD doesn't appear to be allergic to our dog's hair....just the saliva. When this happens, I immediatley wash the area and the welp goes away w/in about 15 minutes.

It makes me sad b/c I know our doggie is just trying to be friendly. I feel like I am constantly shewing the dog away from dd so she doesn't break out.  :-\

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
Re: Dog Saliva
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 23:38:58 pm »
I am not sure this is any help, but the same thing happens to me. Oddly not with all dogs though.  ??? ??? I will get hives too from sweat sometimes. Not terribly bothersome and no other symptoms either.

{{hugs}} for Jessica though!
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 15:01:19 pm »
My husband often breaks out when dogs lick him, particularly certain breeds of dogs.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 21:25:00 pm »
OOOh yes I certainly have experienced this..

Both Dh and I and now Will break out in a rash if our dog licks us... it actually makes my arm sting and the rash comes up really quickly...

Its not a rare thing... may people are allergic to cats fur.. not because of the fur itself but because of the saliva on it from when the cat has cleaned itself..

H xxx

Offline Carter'sMama

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 00:54:36 am »
It definitely is very common!  I work as a veterinary technician and unfortunately many people put their dogs to sleep because of the very problem you are describing  :(  Carter always gets hives when my dog Boss licks him but like you said it goes away in no time.    Then again on a skin test I am positive for allergies to both dogs and cats and very rarely do I ever have a reaction to either.

I just do my best to keep Boss from licking Carter which I must admit is pretty difficult  ::)
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010