Author Topic: Cow's Milk  (Read 1731 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Cow's Milk
« on: September 25, 2006, 19:48:06 pm »
Karen,

I have been thinking more and more about what you said in one of my posts (ANOTHER THROAT INFECTION), about you saying that he could have an allergy to milk.

https://babywhispererforums.com/archive.php?topic=72936.0

Now that I think about it, all these ear and throat infections started once Thomas turned 1, and the only new thing that I have itroduced to his diet since then has been cows milk.  When he was younger he had the odd bit in his cereal, but usually used formula for his cereal as he never finished his bottles.

Is there anything particular that I could look for to find out if it is Milk causing these problems.  He has had Yogurts since he was 4 month old, but I know that dairy and a milk intolerance can be different.

Look forward to hearing your views.

Thanks for your help.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Cow's Milk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:51:08 am »
Sorry for the delayed response, Paula. It's hard to pinpoint really, but yes, some of our LOs (and some adults) can tolerate cheeses and yogurt but not whole milk. I used to have a great site about food intolerances but it hasn't been available lately - but let me do some checking. Often the best way at this age is trial and error - you may want to do a 2 week trial (it can take at least that long for the milk proteins to clear out of the body) with no milk (even cut out yogurt, etc maybe at first) and try either soy milk or rice milk? Only problem with rice milk is that it doesn't have nearly enough fat for our little ones - but that can be supplemented in other ways (avocado, olive oil, flax oil, peanut butter (when old enough), etc). Do you have a good HV or GP you can discuss it with as well?

How is he feeling?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 12:27:32 pm »
Paula, ds is milk intolerant. He can cope with cheese, butter, etc, but not whole milk. It's not ear/throat problems he has with it, it's his bowels (I can't wait to tell him when he's older how much people all over the world know about his bowels ;) :)).

He gets really runny poos, and a terrible nappy rash. He also seems to get tummy 'cramps' at night.

I agree with Karen about eliminating it from his diet for a couple of weeks - that's easier than getting him tested.

What we give ds:
Soy yoghurt - AlproSoy (the raspberry and vanilla flavour is the least 'lumpy'). Ds loves this
Rice milk - Rice Dream (tesco do their own, but it's very 'bitty' and the bottles are a bugger to clean)
Can get both of these in Tesco.
I have upped the amount of fat in his diet. He gets avocados (has to be mixed into things b/c he doesn't like it) and I mix extra olive oil into most of the food I make him. Also, I use 'proper' butter in his sandwiches and on his veggies (such a lucky boy, I love proper butter), but I make sure it's the no added salt kind.

HTH, I'm happy to answer any more questions if you have them :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 19:05:24 pm »
Thank you both for your replies  :-*

He has finished his antibiotics and is feeling much better - It is so good to see him so happy, and feeling well (fingers crossed).

I have cut out his whole milk completely and have put him back on formula.  I did this to try and get extra vitamins into his body and am using this for his cereal.

He has had yogurts since he was 4 months old and did not have any problems with them when he was younger - do you think I should still cut them out?  Any ideas what I can give as an afternoon snack then? 

Also should I cut out the Probiotic drinks too?

We do have a good health visitor, but it is getting to see them.  The finish up just as I finish work - will try and phone them and see if they can give me some advice on the phone.

Thanks again for your replies.

Paula x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 10:27:51 am »
I'm so glad he's feeling better! If it were me, I'd cut out the probiotic drinks if they are milk-based and instead get a powdered probiotic for children that can added to his formula or juice. If you're certain that the formula and milk never caused a problem, maybe keep him on those and only stop the cow's milk and see what happens? And if he seems much better maybe try to transition him to soy milk? Still a fair amount of fat and nice amount of protein too.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 18:39:14 pm »
Thanks again for your replies.

His formula has always been fine and his yogurts too.

I will cut out both the probiotics and have already cut out cows milk and will see how we go.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.

Paula x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 18:43:55 pm »
Sounds good Paula - but if you can find a dairy free, powdered probiotic to add to his yogurt or formula that would be good to help boost his immune system.

Hope it goes well!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 18:44:46 pm »
I will look to see if I can find one.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Paula

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 11:08:13 am »
Fantastic, hope it goes well. In your case, sounds like more of an intolerance/immune system issue than a true allergy per se. But milk allergies (or food allergies in general) can take many forms - and sometimes the symptoms can change over time. For example, as a newborn, my father used to projectile vomit from cow's milk. So he was on goat's milk (that was the other option back then) and when they tried him on milk at 1 and 2 he didn't vomit but he'd just be cranky and miserable and uncomfortable. He couldn't tolerate milk until almost 2.5 years of age and still then only in limited quantities.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 18:41:50 pm »
Funny you should say that.  I found out today, that I had an intolerance to cows milk as a baby, and was on goats milk.  My dad was telling me that I used to get really bad ear infections, and had to have gromits put in and they said it was down to cows milk.

Is it hereditary?

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 20:01:40 pm »
I've heard it's hereditary--I was told to be on a dairy-free diet starting in pregnancy if I were to have another baby, since baby#1 was intolerant.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 21:06:43 pm »
It definitely can be hereditary. Kim - I've been told that it would only help to be dairy-free in the third trimester, but it certainly couldn't hurt to do it the whole pregnancy!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 21:04:03 pm »
Hi Karen,

Just thought I would keep you updated.  We have officially been off cows milk for a week now and so far so good.

I did speak to our HV, but she was not able to give me much info, so just thought it best to keep cows milk out of his diet for another month or so to see how we get on.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your advice.

Paula x