Author Topic: Help with frustration at playtime  (Read 1252 times)

Offline LJCsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with frustration at playtime
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:11:36 am »
I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light onto what is going on with 4.5 month DS. This has been going on for about a month now ever since ds has been able to grab and hold toys. He will get something and even before it is in his hands he is diving towards it to put it in his mouth. Ok so this is normal everything goes into the mouth. But the problem is how frustrated he gets once it's in his mouth. He will suck or chew for a few seconds then he's almost trying to rip apart the toy while it is still in his mouth at which point he starts to get upset and if I don't take the toy away in a few minutes he's crying. I really don't get it cause I thought it would get better by now as he has gained more control. I'm starting to wonder what kinds of activities to do with him cause he gets so wound up at what ever he's doing. Please tell me this is just a phase...
Aja

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 01:16:38 am »
I have to go to bed now, so i have to log off.
but are u sure he isn't teething?
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline LJCsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help with frustration at playtime
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 16:34:41 pm »
Could be teething...poor little guy gets so wound up so easily. I don't know what kinds of activities to do with him. The only thing that doesn't make him upset is his jolly jumper and I can't leave him in it for 2 hours.
Aja

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 19:08:40 pm »
If it is teething, could you give him a somewhat frozen washcloth to chew on?  That always really helped my DD when we were going through rough teething times.  Maybe if he's got something in his mouth that helps him to feel better, he'd be more content playing with his other toys?  Does he like to be outside?  Go for walks in the stroller?  Those were big activities for us around that age.  There's a toy/activity sticky up at the top of this forum for babies from 3-6 months that has some ideas that could help you out as well. 

Whatever the cause, I'm sure it's just a phase.  Just keep saying -- "this too shall pass..."

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 19:23:11 pm »
Sounds like teething to me. My lo loved walks at that age too, just looking at the world around him

Offline mommyOFtwins

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 16:03:31 pm »
My twin girls will be 5months next week and like your son, they put everything in their mouth including feet.  I've noticed that one of them when in the exercise-saucer, she's bites on the toys and has it in her mouth. She gets extremly frustrated also.

What we've done is given her a teether (although i can't tell whether she's teething already) or a soft teether rattle (cloth material but it's a teether)...she chews on this forever in replacement.

As for activities, they rotate from a bouncer (where they hit stuff and practice grabbing), exercise-saucer and then the floor for tummy time.