Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed  (Read 1018 times)

Offline osmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
Newly Diagnosed
« on: September 29, 2006, 17:13:25 pm »
Hi!  I have been chatting and peeking in on the eczema thread for a while now. As I mentioned on that thread, about a month ago, my 2 year old son had a reaction to walnuts. We just got back from the allergist today and he is in fact now officially diagnosed with a tree nut allergy.  Pecans, Hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds being the worst reactions.  We were given an epipen and all the literature, but being a BW mom, I came here first.  I think I'm still in a little bit of shock and now scared for my son.  What is eating out like? What about food labels?  Can I trust my in - laws (who don't believe anything I say) to not feed him anything with nuts in it?  I'm loaded with questions and I guess I'm just looking for others with similar allergies or experiences to share their experiences with me.  Is there anyone who has a child with a similar allergy on this forum?  Thanks ladies.  Erin

PS Allergist told me to avoid nuts in the next two months (I'm 30 weeks pregnant)  I have been eating nuts this whole pregnancy and am freaking out that I'm going to "give" this next dc the same allergy.  Do you know anything about this?
Erin -

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Newly Diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 17:29:43 pm »
As for the pregnancy issue, usually it's only an issue to avoid in the third trimester. Try not to worry about that - just avoid nuts and realize that while a nut issue can be serious and is certainly a PITA, there are many worse things. I'd say you can definitely trust food labels now with the new labeling laws. Just read them carefully - labels now even say if things were packaged in facilities with nuts. And can you or your DH sit down with the in-laws and explain to them how serious this is and how important it is not to give him anything with nuts? At his age, does he understand the situation and can he say no if offered something he shouldn't have?

Big hugs.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 18:28:24 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63752.0  This should help some.  Agree with Karen that the in-laws need a thorough explanation.  More hugs!!!!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline osmom

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:08:15 am »
Thanks for the advice ladies. Jenn - that link is very helpful.  We will be sitting down with the inlaws very soon to explain how serious it really is.  Sister in law is the one that gave him the nuts when he had a reaction and still doesn't believe that the cough and hives were a reaction to the nuts!  I guess I'll have to tell her the allergist told me that the cough and hives would warrant use of the epipen!  Thanks again. Erin
Erin -

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 01:11:16 am »
Tell SIL that the hives are an immediate reaction, the cough is a more delayed one.  What does she think caused it?   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline osmom

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 17:24:34 pm »
I think she just feels guilty and bad that it happened and doesn't want the blame put on her.  I wasn't blaming her, but am now kind of mad that she won't accept that it was a reaction. She thinks the hives were just from touching his face too much?!??  Thanks for the support. Erin
Erin -