Author Topic: Schedule Change  (Read 1278 times)

Offline ladyjane

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 01, 2006, 16:23:24 pm »
My 13 MO is eating 4 times per day.  Each meal includes a bottle and various solid, pureed, and finger foods.  She eats every 4 hours starting at 7:00am.  She also naps from 9:00 - 10:00 and 1:00 - 2:30.  Lately her sleep at night has become erratic.  I would like to transition her to 3 meals and 2 snacks and begin moving to just 1 nap in the afternoon.  I know I can't change her eating and nap schedule overnight.  Any suggestions about making the transition smooth?  Thanks for any advice!

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Re: Schedule Change
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 18:13:58 pm »
Why don't you begin by posting a detailed current schedule including, I know you said every four hours but to see it down on paper so to speak may make it easier . Are you sure your dd is ready for 1 nap so young or do you want it? Many little ones keep up 2 naps until much later, though my dd did in fact go to one at around 14 months, her choice not mine.
Anyway post your day :-)

Offline ladyjane

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 00:39:18 am »
13 month old
7:00 - 6 oz formula, oatmeal mixed with a fruit
11:00 - 6 oz formula, some type of meat (baby food) and a vegetable
3:00 - 4-6 oz formula, some type of mixed food (chicken and rice, etc)
7:00 - 6oz formula, some type of meat (baby food) and a vegetable
After her 3:00 and 7:00 pm feedings, she eats some random finger foods
She is usually still in her high chair at 7:45pm

The reason I am thinking about cutting out the morning nap was to try to get her more on the meal schedule suggested in the 'Baby Whisperer.' 

We followed the book the best that we could through the first several months, but I am afraid we didn't make the necessary gradual adjustments to make the transition to 3 meals and 2 snacks.  If we can do this, it seems like it would be easier on our daughter and maybe she begin to transition to going to sleep earlier in the evening and getting better quality sleep overall.

As fas as cutting out the morning nap, I had the impression it would be better for her.  If keeping the nap in the morning is best for her age, that's what we will do.

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Re: Schedule Change
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 19:50:29 pm »
13 month old
7:00 - 6 oz formula, oatmeal mixed with a fruit
11:00 - 6 oz formula, some type of meat (baby food) and a vegetable
3:00 - 4-6 oz formula, some type of mixed food (chicken and rice, etc)
7:00 - 6oz formula, some type of meat (baby food) and a vegetable
After her 3:00 and 7:00 pm feedings, she eats some random finger foods
She is usually still in her high chair at 7:45pm"

Sorry have quoted your msg so it's in front of me. Please just let me tell you that I am certainly no expert re feeding as had and have a picky toddler who has just started eating well alabeit not much variety but is now asking for food :-)

First off I would say 4 bottles are at least 1 if not 2 too many at 13 months. I would give solids before the 11 am bottle, and I would make this your protein based meal so chicken or fish or meat and give as much as your baby will take, for the time being I would give milk from bottle after but you should really aim to have this in a sippy cup but one bottle at a time to go.

I would get rid of the 3 pm bottle and use this as snack time but nothing really heavy, maybe some yogurt or crackers with a drink of water from a sippy cup or some well diluted juice. This would also be an ideal time to introduce finger foods like breadsticks, pieces of fruit, cheese etc.

I would then make dinner time around 5 or 5.30 pm, as much as you little one will take and leave some time for finger foods if you like, maybe put some on the tray when you are cleaning up. I am not sure if you want to change bed time but if your little one is still in the high chair at 7.45 pm I am guessing bed time is not before at least 8.30? If you want to move bed time earlier then I would suggest your last bottle about half an hour before bed time. If night time sleep has become erratic I would think it's due to over tiredness and suggest a bed time of no later than 7.30 pm.
Hope this is of some help,

Fiona