Author Topic: ALLERGY TEST will she cry??  (Read 1675 times)

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
ALLERGY TEST will she cry??
« on: October 02, 2006, 13:42:21 pm »
Hello,

My 7 month old DD has got to have an allergy test at the hospital Wed. We not sure but we think she may have had a reaction to either egg or tomato's.
I had an allergy test about a year ago and they got a blade and made lots of little cuts on my arm, will they do that to her?

I know its quite painless but I am in to day 4 of weaning LO from her dummy and worried in case she gets really upset and cant settle herself, plus got to to go on my own :(

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
Re: ALLERGY TEST will she cry??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 13:49:17 pm »
I'll be honest with you - my ds had the scrape test for allergies on his back, when he was.....2?  Maybe a year and a half, my brain doesn't work so well right now. ;)  But it was awful - I don't think the pain was the real problem - I think being held down, and not able to move REALLY MADE HIM MAD!!! >:(

But he cried, and screamed, and I cried along with him.  I felt awful, but there is no way that you can do what you need to do for your child, no way to deal with issues, if you don't know what hte issues are, kwim?

It's definately worth it if your lo's reaction was severe, or it's an ongoing problem.

Just make sure there are lots of hugs and cuddles afterwards - at that age, she'll probably forget about it before you're out the door! :-*
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline pixieme

• Showing Appreciation 46
  • Devon, U.K.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 13:49:58 pm »
I don't have the answer for you I'm afraid because I have the same thing coming up with my ds shortly and also have no idea what to expect.  :-\   Just wanted to offer you some [[[[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]] and hope it goes well.
Debs

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 13:58:00 pm »
Oh no thats the wrong answer!! (but thanx for being honest).
So they do it on their back?
I think I am going to have get her dad to skip work and come with.

Pixieme: Thanx for hugs I will save them for wed.
Goodluck to you, i will post how it goes.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 14:20:49 pm »
Sorry sweetie!!! :-[  I did want to be honest though.....especially as when I asked before the tests, there havent' been a ton of users here that have had the tests done on their children.

It was awful for us - but like i said, I also think most of it was the being held down - I have a VERY spirited boy! ;) ;D

I believe there are several different ways to do it - for us, it was on his back, and he had to lay flat on his stomach for 20 mins....RIGHT!!!! ::)  I wish THEY would have tried to get a 2 year old to do that!! >:(   I had him lay on top of me, and watch an Elmo videotape that they supplied.

The good thing, is that it's all over so fast - literally, they're not evne doing the scrapes for a full 2 mins....they scrape quick, put the allergent on, then it's on to mommy for cuddles.

Please post back and let me know how it goes for you!
Tonya

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 17:28:42 pm »
My dd had an allergy test at 11months.  Wasn't painful at all :).  She didn't even know the doctor did anything.  He had a set of little pin prick needles and he just scratched them very quickly on each arm.  Just had to hold her arm still for like 2 seconds.  Best thing we ever did cause we identified her allergies and now her eczema is gone!

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 17:35:11 pm »
DS had his done at 6mo, on his arm and yes he screamed a lot but think he was just frightened as they'd done lots of other stuff to him, dont think it was that painful. Tonya, think when they r older they tend to cry more and theres a fear element too!

Offline Tonya

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 17:50:47 pm »
Quote (selected)
Tonya, think when they r older they tend to cry more and theres a fear element too!

I agree, and like I said, ds HATES to be held down - I did mention I didn't think it was the pain that caused him to cry so much as the being held down! :-\

I didn't mean to scare you at all, gemmah!  That wasn't my intention!
Tonya

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 17:57:56 pm »
its tough isnt it watvhing the LOs have shots and such? I hate it! first time I actually cried! no i'm a bit better but still tough!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 18:24:39 pm »
Gemmah
Calum was at our local hospital about a month ago to see a ped about a possible egg allergy.   I thought I was going so they could test him, but she just asked me why I though he had an allergy. what has happened and what the doctor said, etc.

She then surmised after getting the history from me that he indeed had an allergy (no tests done), she did offer to arrange for a blood test to get done on Calum, however she said that whatever the result she would still advise he keep off egg until 4 years old and they would get him back to the hospital and give him egg there, under controlled conditions.

have they actually advised you what is going to happen when you take your Lo to hospital? It may be worth callig them to set your mind at rest.  :-\
Lauren x

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 14:07:00 pm »
I know i am going to a consultant and the Doctor mentioned she may need a test.
Well I just prepare myself for the worse and hopefully be pleasantly surprised!

Calums_mum: Just out of curiosity what reaction did your LO have to egg?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 15:20:44 pm »
Sounds like you've gotten some great advice here - just wanted to offer big hugs - keep us posted!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 18:47:01 pm »
I offered him scrambled egg when he was 6months and he projectile vomited it right back up, everywhere the sickness touched, and where it landed on his t-shirt ( I had to pull it over his head) his skin went bright red in seconds and rashy.

I called the doctors straightaway and we went down, the doc says he must have had an extreme reaction to the egg - he had never seen the redness appear so quickly before. He told me to test the scrambled egg on his leg again when I got back to double check, again it went red straight away.   He refered up to a ped at our hospital (only took 5 months  ::) ::)) and the rest you know.   

I did try the skin test intermittently up until the ped appointment and the last time I tried it no redness appeared, he has also had a spoon ful of egg in the last couple of months and threw up again, but no redness. I asked the ped about this and she said his skin is probably now tolerant, but not his stomach.

Lauren x

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 14:59:16 pm »
Hello,

Just got back from hospital appointment.
Basically consultant said it is probably the egg she had a reaction to. He gave me the option to have a blood test, but he said nothing usually shows up because most people who have a problem with egg at her age usually grow out of it and because she got a rash around her mouth it may be a skin allergy.

I have to try her with it again when she 15-18 months and got another appointment for a next year.

So no horrible tests (just yet), yay!!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 18:11:00 pm »
Sounds like our appointment, we have to go back in a year as well. But leave it until he is 4 before he gets egg.
Lauren x