Author Topic: Anyone have other allergies than food? Zyrtec?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Anyone have other allergies than food? Zyrtec?
« on: October 05, 2006, 23:28:42 pm »
Hello:  Well just another issue going on over this way.  I sware I may drive myself nuts trying to pinpoint the cause of my sons (14 mos old) fussiness and just unhappy mood most of the day.

He had a severe allergic reaction to amoxillion when he was 8 mos. old.  Our doctor sent us to be allergy tested.  He came up positive on the skin prick test for Soy, Pet Dander, Mold Spores and Oak Tree Pollen.  Also showed positive to egg white and shellfish, but he said not to worry about those because it was a very very low #.

Anyhow I called the allergist back today to see if I could have him re-tested and they said they normally do not re-test 5 mos. later.  He asked questions like:  Does he sneeze alot, Are his eyes red, does he have a runny nose, stuffy nose, dry cough, etc.  i answered Yes to everyone one.  Every since birth Zach has had a cough and either a runny or stuffy nose.  He always rubbs his eyes and ears and always seems tired and very irritable.

The allergist prescribed him 1 ml. of zyrtec at bedtime.

Does anyone has any experience with this and if it helped.  This could be the answer to all of our problems.  I know when my allergies/ sinuses act up, I feel just out of it, no energy, cranky, tired, etc.

Thanks,
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Anyone have other allergies than food? Zyrtec?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:19:00 am »
A friend has been giving this to a lo for years.  Helps immensely!  Also check into an air filter for the house, or at least his room.  Maybe a dehumidifier to help prevent molds.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:13:02 am »
Thanks Jenn:  We have gotten a lot of great recommendations from the allergist.  I have to clean my carperts monthly with a special allergian cleaner.  I am going to also get the casing to cover his matress and pillow. 

I have a air purifier for his room, but it is a really small one.  I need to get a better one.

I am glad it is helping your friend.  I hope we see some improvement.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 02:19:48 am »
Forgot, no open windows in his room when the trees are pollinating.  Ditto for hanging clothes out.  Febreeze makes an allergen removing spray.  Have fun with the mattress, it's a 2-3 person party.  Zyrtec is a nice one.  I'd still be taking it if the stupid insurance covered it.  Little sleepy for a few days, then nothing.   ;)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:25:12 am »
So you took it personally?  They told me to give it to Zach at bedtime because it would make him tired.  He already seems tired most of the day, I hope it does not make it worse.

What do you mean about the matress?  There is no way to really protect that, all kinds of parties going on there??  Dust Mites.. YUCK
Wendy -

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 02:33:35 am »
Yup, but now take Claritin.  Give it at bedtime, it will make him a bit tired at first.  After a few days, the body gets used to it, and no more fatigue.  Lo is tired now because the allergies themselves can be tiring to fight without meds.   Mattresswise, you are encasing it in a very tight plasticy cover.  Think one person to hold onto it and 1-2 to put the case on.  (even more fun with a bigger mattress.)  My allergist suggested duct tape over the zipper afterwards to keep the critters in.  I agree YUCK!     

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 02:41:16 am »
LOL..  Just thinking about all the dust in the air..

I hope this works for Zach, but I was reading on the Zyrtec website and it said the recommened dose was 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) once a day for ages 6 mos to 23 mos. and the doctor only gave Zach 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) once a day.  I am going to call tom. and see why.

Wendy -